EMU'S?!?

BastyPutt

Yes, your Polish is a cockerel...
May 9, 2020
Central Oregon
Ok - I got into an Emu YouTube/researching spiral of doom last night. And as I wake up this morning, I'm trying to conceive a plan to get a few here. I have a few questions, and hoping you all may have some time to answer them

Step one: somehow convince wife.
- Level of difficulty; 99 of 100

Obviously on my own here. But hoping some of these answers will help.

Utility -
Does an Emu actually have a utility? Ie a chicken lays and egg. A goat can be milked.
Obviously we have tons of "pets" that have no utility other than bringing us joy. A majority of American dogs would fall into this category.
But after watching all the videos last night, aside from being able to sell really expensive hatching eggs, I couldn't figure out if anyone used them for a purpose.

Space:
We have just over 1/4 of an acre, fenced off with 36" post and beam fencing, available for a new farm friend. We live in the "high desert". It is dry here, native "soil" is very sandy and pen is full of weed/plants. Nothing noxious as we rotate the goats in there around July to knock down the foliage. Is this enough space, high enough fence, and landscape for a pair of emus?

Note: this fenced area is within a fenced pasture that grows orchard grass. I considered perhaps allowing them to range in the acre, but they seem to not listen to anything or anyone. I am not certain how I would control them if they had so much room to run. Either way, both have a lean-too for shelter and sleeping.

Breeding: would a pair result in the female being overbred? I'm not interested in selling anything, just to add something new to the farm here. They seem super silly and enjoyable.

Weather: we are about 5500 of elevation, w/ temps that routinely drop well below 0 deg. Average temp in late December to mid February is around 20 degrees, with overnight temps reaching -20. We can supplement heat anywhere, but I usually prefer not to.

That's it for now. Any help would be appreciated 😉

emus are good predator control stomping them to death. roughly 1000 square feet for a pair for roaming. theres a breeding season so i dont think u need to worry about being overbred. emus will climb fences so go for a 6-8 foot fence (8 prefered)

I mean, you can eat them. Not very efficient though. Likely best contribution would be selling fertile hatching eggs and eggs for eating/crafts.
Males are the one that set on the nest, so probably not?
I'm pretty sure we have people out here with them, and White House on the Hill has them, and their weather is similar to yours, I think.

@Pyxis is kinda my go to for emu questions

I mean, you can eat them. Not very efficient though. Likely best contribution would be selling fertile hatching eggs and eggs for eating/crafts.

Males are the one that set on the nest, so probably not?

I'm pretty sure we have people out here with them, and White House on the Hill has them, and their weather is similar to yours, I think.

@Pyxis is kinda my go to for emu questions
Alright thank you!

Ok - I got into an Emu YouTube/researching spiral of doom last night. And as I wake up this morning, I'm trying to conceive a plan to get a few here. I have a few questions, and hoping you all may have some time to answer them

Step one: somehow convince wife.
- Level of difficulty; 99 of 100

Obviously on my own here. But hoping some of these answers will help.

Utility -
Does an Emu actually have a utility? Ie a chicken lays and egg. A goat can be milked.
Obviously we have tons of "pets" that have no utility other than bringing us joy. A majority of American dogs would fall into this category.
But after watching all the videos last night, aside from being able to sell really expensive hatching eggs, I couldn't figure out if anyone used them for a purpose.

Space:
We have just over 1/4 of an acre, fenced off with 36" post and beam fencing, available for a new farm friend. We live in the "high desert". It is dry here, native "soil" is very sandy and pen is full of weed/plants. Nothing noxious as we rotate the goats in there around July to knock down the foliage. Is this enough space, high enough fence, and landscape for a pair of emus?

Note: this fenced area is within a fenced pasture that grows orchard grass. I considered perhaps allowing them to range in the acre, but they seem to not listen to anything or anyone. I am not certain how I would control them if they had so much room to run. Either way, both have a lean-too for shelter and sleeping.

Breeding: would a pair result in the female being overbred? I'm not interested in selling anything, just to add something new to the farm here. They seem super silly and enjoyable.

Weather: we are about 5500 of elevation, w/ temps that routinely drop well below 0 deg. Average temp in late December to mid February is around 20 degrees, with overnight temps reaching -20. We can supplement heat anywhere, but I usually prefer not to.

That's it for now. Any help would be appreciated 😉
I've got nothing, but I'm sure you and my husband could conspire together on how to convince us wives to get emu's. He decided a few weeks ago thay we "need" emus and could make money on them 🤣🤣🤣

I've got nothing, but I'm sure you and my husband could conspire together on how to convince us wives to get emu's. He decided a few weeks ago thay we "need" emus and could make money on them 🤣🤣🤣
Me: Gosh - strangest thing.

Look what I found out with the chickens - it's 2 giant green eggs. I think one of the chickens maybe sick because these eggs don't look right at all, but I'll put this into the incubator anyway - maybe something will hatch.

Wife: how stupid do you think I am. **stares for 30 seconds and walks away silently**

Me: Gosh - strangest thing.

Look what I found out with the chickens - it's 2 giant green eggs. I think one of the chickens maybe sick because these eggs don't look right at all, but I'll put this into the incubator anyway - maybe something will hatch.

Wife: how stupid do you think I am. **stares for 30 seconds and walks away silently**
From a wife perspective, this just might work.

🤣

Back
Top Bottom