Enclosed or open coop

Chicklady67

Hatching
Aug 6, 2017
im building a coop and not sure if the sides should be enclosed on four walls with windows on three sides and door on fourth side. I plan on good ventilation with insulated walls. Or, should one wall be open where the door is located with hardware cloth. I live in California so we have mild winters but hot summers. The coop will be 10x10 with a run of 10x18 feet.

Insulation will cause problems with rodents etc. My east and west sides are solid and the sides facing north and south have 2 windows each as well as the open eaves on those same sides. The trick is keeping ventilation but having the roosting area free of drafts and rain. During they day they will move around in the coop if they want to get out of a draft but you don't want their roosting bar where the cold night winds will blow on them.

In most areas of CA I think an open coop would be best. I deal with heavy rain and some snow but my coop is mostly open air. You can use removable panels (wood, plastic) to cover up the open sides as needed when the weather's not so great.

Insulating the roof helps with summer sun, unless it will be in a shaded site. Don't do the walls! I insulated my coop walls, and am tearing it out this summer because of a huge rodent infestation! It took a few years, but it's a mess right now. If your coop will be in the sun, plant trees and shrubs to grow up and protect it. You can have two sides open; ventilation is very important! Protect from prevailing winds and rain, but big openings are good. Mary

Back
Top Bottom