Enclosures

arherp

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
Kentucky
OK.. So, I have decided for this next batch of pens to be permanent. I am trying to decide on the configuration - it will be either (6) 10X12's, or (3) 20X8's. (120 square feet versus 160 square feet) Which do you guys think would be better? And how do you landscape yours? I already am doing a few ornamental grasses, but not sure what else would avoid trampling/eating.

By the way, these pens will probably be used on stuff like Temminicks, eared pheasants, etc. I know that that changes size a bit.

Ok being new to pheasants - Tony how do you protect them from the elements with all sides open like that? Winter here in Iowa can be harsh. I will be building a pen hopefully down on my Mom's land (25 acre pasture with no livestock/animals on it currently)

Do I need to protect them?

Pheasants are generally pretty hardy, and some sort of a windbreak will be all that most would need. It does vary species to species though, what kind of birds do you plan on getting?

Ok, those should be fine with some branches/shrubs/etc to be used as a windbreak. If you could plywood two sides of the enclosure, or put boards a foot or two up on the pen, that would help as well. But RN are very hardy.

Back
Top Bottom