Enclosures

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by arherp, May 6, 2011.

1. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    OK.. So, I have decided for this next batch of pens to be permanent. I am trying to decide on the configuration - it will be either (6) 10X12's, or (3) 20X8's. (120 square feet versus 160 square feet) Which do you guys think would be better? And how do you landscape yours? I already am doing a few ornamental grasses, but not sure what else would avoid trampling/eating.

2. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    By the way, these pens will probably be used on stuff like Temminicks, eared pheasants, etc. I know that that changes size a bit.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Bigger is always better.Either size is great for eareds and temminicks.Mine are in 6x 12's,and they do great.
    In N.H.,Tony.[​IMG]

4. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Do you do pairs, trios, or quads?

5. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Quote:nice looking pen Tony!! What is that on the roof??

6. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:nice looking pen Tony!! What is that on the roof??

looks like green house shade cloth, yes very nice

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Ok being new to pheasants - Tony how do you protect them from the elements with all sides open like that? Winter here in Iowa can be harsh. I will be building a pen hopefully down on my Mom's land (25 acre pasture with no livestock/animals on it currently)

Do I need to protect them?

8. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Pheasants are generally pretty hardy, and some sort of a windbreak will be all that most would need. It does vary species to species though, what kind of birds do you plan on getting?

9. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have what I think are black melanistic pheasants - I posted a picture of the chicks to confirm.

10. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Ok, those should be fine with some branches/shrubs/etc to be used as a windbreak. If you could plywood two sides of the enclosure, or put boards a foot or two up on the pen, that would help as well. But RN are very hardy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by