Encourage a hen to go broody?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KYChixMama, May 2, 2011.

1. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I've had a hen "go broody" on her own, but is it possible to encourage it in a hen? Just curious...

2. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I encouraged my girls by putting 6 fake eggs in the nest. It worked, but I also have broody breeds.

3. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    That's what I did, starting back in late February or so. Every time I collected eggs, I left a ceramic egg until there was a big pile, I guess all 12 at one time. Next time I'd use different colored eggs as I almost tricked myself a few times and collected the fakes. Two hens started hanging out on the eggs for an hour or two after laying. So both were leaning toward getting broody and I think the alpha just decided she was top hen and so it was her right to sit on the eggs all the time. I think the days becoming longer also has something to do with it and make sure they have plenty of oyster shell.
    good luck!

4. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    thats how I encouraged mine - left the eggs - 10 in nest then I guess she decided it was time and has been "setting" since. they are buff orpingtons - out of 4 hens this was the youngest of the group...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by