Encouraging ladies to lay?

Little Red Birds

Songster
Jun 6, 2019
I got 4 new females three days ago and have only gotten one egg from them. I know that it can take awhile for them to adjust, but is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable? I haven’t owned this many female quail before, only one in a pair. I am feeding a 20% poultry feed and can’t access another type for around a week. I know my Tractor and Supply has a 30% just for game birds. Should I give them straw? I currently have woodchips and sawdust in there, but I could add straw. I don’t really know if laying quail are much different than laying hens... Thank you in advance for any help!

20% layer should hold them over. I feed my birds 30% turkey starter and they lay good on it but I'm swapping to a 20% gamebird layer in another week and I'm going to try that out. Best thing you could do to help is add some light. 14-17 hours is ideal is ideal for laying. I give mine 16 hours. It can take a couple weeks for them to start laying again after being moved to a new home. Changing their feed will probably postpone them from laying for a little while too until they get adjusted to it....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom