End of day 20 no pips

Im so sorry it ended so badly!
You must be devastated :hugs :(

Feel free to post the images, I'm not sure how much I can tell from them, but I'd be happy to take a look and offer up some possibilities of why they didnt make it.
So sad just looking at them there😢

Attachments

• 0551119A-FE28-4272-9C58-49303417F0BE.jpeg
    0551119A-FE28-4272-9C58-49303417F0BE.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 14
So sad just looking at them there😢
Poor little ones. I know the heartbreak of opening an egg to find them gone, that last bit of hope gone :(

Looks like a lot of liquid, was there a lot around them as you opened the eggs?
Were any internally pipped, through the membrane, any malpositioned?

I dont see any yolk sacs, did you remove them? Were the more developed chicks still absorbing their yolks, or were they gone when you opened the eggs up?

Poor little ones. I know the heartbreak of opening an egg to find them gone, that last bit of hope gone :(

Looks like a lot of liquid, was there a lot around them as you opened the eggs?
Were any internally pipped, through the membrane, any malpositioned?

I dont see any yolk sacs, did you remove them? Were the more developed chicks still absorbing their yolks, or were they gone when you opened the eggs up?
Yeah there was a lot of liquid, didn’t look like any had internally pipped.
I tried to clean them up a bit before I disposed of them, so I did remove the yolk sacs.
Feel so bad for them, not sure where to go from here as I have the whole set up ready but nobody local seems to breed chicks around this time of year 🙁

Yeah there was a lot of liquid, didn’t look like any had internally pipped.
I tried to clean them up a bit before I disposed of them, so I did remove the yolk sacs.
Feel so bad for them, not sure where to go from here as I have the whole set up ready but nobody local seems to breed chicks around this time of year 🙁
I expect the problem was to do with high humidity, possibly not helped by the period of low temperature... The eggs didn't lose quite enough moisture, but they were also not ready to hatch. The yolks hadnt been absorbed which was likely due to low temps and high humidity.
I'm really sorry you lost them all :(

It could have been a problem with the incubator, but if you want to hatch again I'd reccomend getting separate calibrated thermometers and hygrometers. It will make your life much easier and ensure the conditions are okay. Incubators are good at lying about the temperature.

You could always order, or collect more eggs, of course you'd have to wait the 21 days of incubation, but it would mean youd have chicks soon. With a few precautions in place, I'm sure you'd have better luck next time :hugs

I expect the problem was to do with high humidity, possibly not helped by the period of low temperature... The eggs didn't lose quite enough moisture, but they were also not ready to hatch. The yolks hadnt been absorbed which was likely due to low temps and high humidity.
I'm really sorry you lost them all :(

It could have been a problem with the incubator, but if you want to hatch again I'd reccomend getting separate calibrated thermometers and hygrometers. It will make your life much easier and ensure the conditions are okay. Incubators are good at lying about the temperature.

You could always order, or collect more eggs, of course you'd have to wait the 21 days of incubation, but it would mean youd have chicks soon. With a few precautions in place, I'm sure you'd have better luck next time :hugs
Thankyou, at least I now know the issue, yeah the incubator is awful it’s very cheap and old. It was used as a backup plan as I was planning on using the broody. I think I’d definitely have to look into getting a good incubator if I do it again. Appreciate your help🙂

Thankyou, at least I now know the issue, yeah the incubator is awful it’s very cheap and old. It was used as a backup plan as I was planning on using the broody. I think I’d definitely have to look into getting a good incubator if I do it again. Appreciate your help🙂
No worries. If you decide to try incubating, I wish you the best of luck!

Good news I’ve found someone nearby with white star chicks, I’ve believe they’re the same as white leghorns right?
Can't really help there! Im no expert on chicken breeds. But its excellant you found some chicks nearby!! Hopefully it works out!

Back
Top Bottom