End of day 20 no pips

This is what it looks like
Thats weird. Gently turn the egg over, so that the pip is on top, and see if theres movement. If there's a liquid substance around the pip, the chick could be in danger of choking/breathing it in.
If you dont see movement or fear the chick is in danger, then go ahead and widen the pip. Be slow, dont make the hole too big, just enough to get an idea of what is going on. Have a clean dry paper towel to hand, if theres any bleeding, stop and hold the paper towel to it until it stops.
The chick may not be ready to hatch, so again, dont make the hole too big, be patient.

You can read about assisted hatches here assisted hatching
But the goal here isnt to hatch the chick right now, its to ensure the chick is alive and able to breathe okay.

You could use the opportunity to very carefully check on the other eggs, for bruising, pips, or chirps.
Did you calibrate your thermometer? The temp may be low resulting in late hatches.

I think I would now start assisting, especially if not seeing any movement.
Just got in from work think I’m going to get some tweezers and see if I can carefully make the hole a bit bigger (and also check if it’s alive/moving in there). If it is alive should I place it back in the incubator?
Also, with the other eggs should I do that float test to check if they’re alive?

Thats weird. Gently turn the egg over, so that the pip is on top, and see if theres movement. If there's a liquid substance around the pip, the chick could be in danger of choking/breathing it in.
If you dont see movement or fear the chick is in danger, then go ahead and widen the pip. Be slow, dont make the hole too big, just enough to get an idea of what is going on. Have a clean dry paper towel to hand, if theres any bleeding, stop and hold the paper towel to it until it stops.
The chick may not be ready to hatch, so again, dont make the hole too big, be patient.

You can read about assisted hatches here assisted hatching
But the goal here isnt to hatch the chick right now, its to ensure the chick is alive and able to breathe okay.

You could use the opportunity to very carefully check on the other eggs, for bruising, pips, or chirps.
Did you calibrate your thermometer? The temp may be low resulting in late hatches.
The temperature was around 100/101F and I couldn’t get the humidity above around 68%.
What’s the best way to check any other eggs if they’re alive or not?

The temperature was around 100/101F and I couldn’t get the humidity above around 68%.
What’s the best way to check any other eggs if they’re alive or not?
candling, with a torch light. Candle from the air cell, look for movement. Its not always easy to tell, so I wouldnt discard any just yet, but if you see clear movement that should put your mind at ease for now.

How long has the humidity been at 68%?
Thats a little high and could be why theres liquid in the egg.

candling, with a torch light. Candle from the air cell, look for movement. Its not always easy to tell, so I wouldnt discard any just yet, but if you see clear movement that should put your mind at ease for now.

How long has the humidity been at 68%?
Thats a little high and could be why theres liquid in the egg.
Since day 19 I raised it to that, before that it was sat at around 40% since day 10.
Days 1-10 they were incubated under a broody hen until unfortunately she passed away, I managed to save the eggs in the incubator and they developed nicely until lockdown. Since lockdown I’ve heard no peeps at all, all I’ve seen is the eggs rocking a bit.
As they had no heat whilst she was dead I assumed they would be a late hatch but day 23 with nothing is a bit worrying now

Just got in from work think I’m going to get some tweezers and see if I can carefully make the hole a bit bigger (and also check if it’s alive/moving in there). If it is alive should I place it back in the incubator?
Also, with the other eggs should I do that float test to check if they’re alive?
Dont do a float test yet. Some people use it as a very last resort before tossing eggs, but I dont reccomend it as float testing can be really risky and does not always show life.
Candling with light is the best way to tell.
Personally I wait a long time, candling with light. If nothing you could float test (looking for movement) before opening the egg above the air cell, being prepared for a live chick but expecting the worst.
This is not something I would do yet, even if you dont see movement. I would just candle, and put back in the incubator and wait longer.

Widen the hole for sure, apply coconut oil to the membrane that is left exposed so that it doesnt dry out. Then place back in the incubator if the chick is alive. Leave them to finish the hatch on their own if possible. Just ensure they are able to breathe.

Since day 19 I raised it to that, before that it was sat at around 40% since day 10.
Days 1-10 they were incubated under a broody hen until unfortunately she passed away, I managed to save the eggs in the incubator and they developed nicely until lockdown. Since lockdown I’ve heard no peeps at all, all I’ve seen is the eggs rocking a bit.
As they had no heat whilst she was dead I assumed they would be a late hatch but day 23 with nothing is a bit worrying now
Im sorry to hear about your broody hen. :(
Having a period of time without heat can definitely contribute to a slower hatch, combined perhaps with an incubator running on the cool side

Im sorry to hear about your broody hen. :(
Having a period of time without heat can definitely contribute to a slower hatch, combined perhaps with an incubator running on the cool side
I think I would now start assisting, especially if not seeing any movement.
Thank you all for your help 🙏🏻 unfortunately was not the outcome I wanted. Carefully opened the first egg to find a dead chick, behind the dried blood at the pip was its beak where it had tried to get out and died. I candled the others to see no movement at all, I opened each egg (tried to do it carefully even though I was pretty sure they were dead) and in each one was a dead chick. 3 of the 5 eggs were very developed chicks, 2 were embryos which I’m guessing one had died around day 5-7 and one maybe around day 10. I do have a photo which I took in case someone would maybe know why/how they died but didn’t know if it may be too gross to post or could offend people.
It was only yestetday 2 of the eggs were still rocking so must have died in the last 12 hours or so, very sad but appreciate all the help❤️

Thank you all for your help 🙏🏻 unfortunately was not the outcome I wanted. Carefully opened the first egg to find a dead chick, behind the dried blood at the pip was its beak where it had tried to get out and died. I candled the others to see no movement at all, I opened each egg (tried to do it carefully even though I was pretty sure they were dead) and in each one was a dead chick. 3 of the 5 eggs were very developed chicks, 2 were embryos which I’m guessing one had died around day 5-7 and one maybe around day 10. I do have a photo which I took in case someone would maybe know why/how they died but didn’t know if it may be too gross to post or could offend people.
It was only yestetday 2 of the eggs were still rocking so must have died in the last 12 hours or so, very sad but appreciate all the help❤️
Im so sorry it ended so badly!
You must be devastated :hugs :(

Feel free to post the images, I'm not sure how much I can tell from them, but I'd be happy to take a look and offer up some possibilities of why they didnt make it.

Back
Top Bottom