Chuckkeeper

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Most definitely easier. Lol.
oh awesome, both those breeds are so beautiful! Fingers crossed for a great hatch. :)
My only suggestions are to mark your air cells in pencil on the shell so it’s easier to keep track of where they are on what day, and take notes of what works for your incubators. No 2 are the same and if you don’t write it down, you won’t necessarily remember for next season. Lol. I know I don’t. 😳
Happy hatching! :jumpy
Aww thank you. Do you mark the bit on the eggs that looks empty (air cells) on the eggs before you put them in, too? And then it gets bigger throughout the 21 days? This will always be in the widest part of the egg? x

Trisseh

Duck-duck-chicken!
Premium Feather Member
Jun 21, 2019
NW Ontario, Canada
Aww thank you. Do you mark the bit on the eggs that looks empty (air cells) on the eggs before you put them in, too? And then it gets bigger throughout the 21 days? This will always be in the widest part of the egg? x
Yep, on the fat/widest end of the egg. Some eggs are oddly shaped and it’s hard to tell which end is which, but usually if you candle them you can find it. If you can see them, mark them. :) Sometimes fresh eggs aren’t super obvious. In that case, just mark them the next time you candle. Always candle before setting them to check for cracks, too, since these are not usually good candidates for hatching. (Sometimes you can try to save them by sealing the crack but it depends on the crack.)
Also, because I have to add yet more, lol, sometimes in shipped eggs you’ll have wobbly or detached air cells. I usually mark these eggs so I know they have a not-so-perfect air cell, but don’t do anything different with them. I like to quantify everything. 🤪 haha!

Chuckkeeper

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Yep, on the fat/widest end of the egg. Some eggs are oddly shaped and it’s hard to tell which end is which, but usually if you candle them you can find it. If you can see them, mark them. :) Sometimes fresh eggs aren’t super obvious. In that case, just mark them the next time you candle. Always candle before setting them to check for cracks, too, since these are not usually good candidates for hatching. (Sometimes you can try to save them by sealing the crack but it depends on the crack.)
Also, because I have to add yet more, lol, sometimes in shipped eggs you’ll have wobbly or detached air cells. I usually mark these eggs so I know they have a not-so-perfect air cell, but don’t do anything different with them. I like to quantify everything. 🤪 haha!
Thanks. I've just tried to do this, but everything inside the eggs just looks the same. I cans distinguish an air sac. Is that ok?

Trisseh

Duck-duck-chicken!
Premium Feather Member
Jun 21, 2019
NW Ontario, Canada
Thanks. I've just tried to do this, but everything inside the eggs just looks the same. I cans distinguish an air sac. Is that ok?
Perfectly fine. :) just mark them the next time you candle them. It just makes it easier when you’re trying to compare how much bigger the air cell is the next time. 👍

Top Bottom