End of free range? Feeling down...

Jeeez - what a drama! I left work early (chick absence), and my son and I went looking. 1 was definitely dead (no head), but tatarata!!! all remaining 5 chicken came running around the corner all of a sudden. So just one lost, and the predator only took its head. This was a 12 week old hen, so the predator is able to take on larger chicks.

So - back to the marten/weasel theory, and still hope for free ranging, but not unsupervised yet. I will put up a proper string for the dog, and contact our county for trapping equipment (they rent it out and dispose of any trapped animals - you learn all kinds of things with this hobby!)

I am looking at a great used coop now and trying to arrange transport. I can put this in the best chick-spot on our property, which will be easier than constructing a loooong chicken tunnel or a giant coop.

So happy my chicks are still alive!

I don't think a tractor is safe enough with badgers/fox around, and I want them to have some space both inside and outside, which is not very practical with a tractor. So I think I need a permanent fortress :)

Have you considered a tractor type coop (one that could be moved about the property)?
I was going to suggest this for when you want them hanging out with you some temporary like tractor run that you let them in then move to hang out with you then put them back in their secure run in the evening or when your not home.

So glad that you found most of your babies!! Not that I know, well, anything at this point LOL, but I wonder if you've thought about adding a full-grown rooster to your flock? I'm not sure if they are allowed where you live, but that sounds like a good way to have a guardian for your hens who will be dedicated to their protection while they free-range around. And it takes a pretty committed predator to take on a good rooster.

If you can, find the owner of the dog and present them with a bill for the value of the birds. Don't forget to add in the value of the eggs you have lost due to the killing if your birds, plus feed you have invested in them. Also, in most places, you have the right to protect your livestock.

We had a dog from the development across the road come and terrorize the birds one day. Both my husband and I thought Dale was going to be a goner, as she was in the dog's mouth, and we couldn't find Betty or Rocky. We called the dog warden, who recognized him as a repeat offender and brought him home, telling my husband his options in dealing with the matter. The owner brought his two very young (maybe 4 and 6ish) children over and made THEM apologize, the little girl wrote a note and had a baggie of change, probably everything in her piggy bank. As if those two little children could, or should, be in charge of a rather large Labrador type dog. We were kind of upset about the incident, but realized "stuff happens." My hubby was FURIOUS at what the guy did with his kids, though.

--Segeine

Disguesting that he would use his kids in such a manner. Don't fall for it. Send him a bill for your loss and let him know blaming his children for his mistakes will be remembered by his children. Or, you could tell him that if he keeps the dog at home you will bring him some eggs from time to time.

Disguesting that he would use his kids in such a manner. Don't fall for it. Send him a bill for your loss and let him know blaming his children for his mistakes will be remembered by his children. Or, you could tell him that if he keeps the dog at home you will bring him some eggs from time to time.
I dunno - it sounds like a good lesson for the kids if this is one of those "You can have a puppy if you promise to be responsible for it" situations. Teaching kids that neglecting their pets has consequences is a good lesson.

Back
Top Bottom