End of free range? Feeling down...

Hi Maria,

I spent three months living in Tromso! My avatar photo is of a Sami earthen winter shelter used by my friend as a chicken coop.

We used to let our chickens free range, but so many of them were eaten that it stopped making sense. They are all now in a predator-proof coop (not so predator-proof though when the kids leave the gate open like last weekend when a husky got in the backyard and killed a hen before I could stop it...) all day and night. It's a little depressing and we all miss watching the chickens run around the yard and act silly. We have two wooden coops inside a large chain-link dog run with a corrugated metal roof we put on to keep hawks and climbing predators out. It sounds like your used coop idea would work and you could still let the hens out as long as you or the kids are right there to keep them safe. Lykke til!

I suggest getting a rooster. I have not had a chicken killed since I have been keeping roosters with my flock. I know this may not work for all predators but for us it has really worked. I have 5 roosters, 40 chickens in all. I also only let them out in the afternoon. All my previous attacks were before 3 in the afternoon by a bobcat. So now they come out after 3 and stay out till they put themselves in for the night.

Is your area fenced in? You can look into electrifying the fence. It doesnt cost that much and you can set it up yourself if your handy.

Sorry about your losses but I am glad you found the ones you did.
smile.png

Marie

The OP has small kids. It's a gamble getting a rooster. You might end up with a mean one. They can damage kids. Plus, it isn't a good recommendation for someone who lives in the suburbs with other yards close by.

I dunno - it sounds like a good lesson for the kids if this is one of those "You can have a puppy if you promise to be responsible for it" situations. Teaching kids that neglecting their pets has consequences is a good lesson.
Actually, it's a full-grown, very large dog, and the kids were very young (maybe 1st grade and pre-K). Too young, in my opinion, to be responsible for such a large, rambunctious dog without direct parental assistance. If the adult had apologized WITH the kids, or taken any kind of responsibility at all, I'd feel differently about the matter. Also, the dog gets out regularly, according to the animal control officer.

--Segeine

So sorry I suggested getting a rooster. I was only trying to help. I really have no idea what the suburbs in Norway are like because I have never been there. I know some people can not have roos but if you can I would recommend it. I know a lot of people keep roos and also have children. It may work for some and not others. You can teach a roo to not be aggressive.

This is just my opinion
hide.gif

Marie

Back
Top Bottom