End result (I hope) of dying chicks. Lost 41 out of 48...

BlackDogPack

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
It's been a week now and no more losses. I think that it's finally over. I lost 41 of the 48 chicks I ordered. The hatchery told me to tell them my final loss and they would be happy to work something out.

The vet's final diagnosis was simply a starve out. Can't say exactly why but at some point in the first 24 hours something happened that just weakened them enough so they didn't get over it. In two weeks I lost 41 chicks.

The other chicks that were with them, my hatchlings and my Brahmas are fine from the same time. They are huge and growing fast. Lost 4 total of them. They still seem to be much healthier than the other chicks, and just now are the hatchery chicks starting to grow and get feathers in. The bantams from my hatch are as big as the hatchery chicks.

So, I've certainly had enough of raising chicks for awhile. My plan was to raise them up and sell them as started pullets. Now I want nothing to do with anything that chirps. I think if they hatchery gives me a credit I'll spend it on something that isn't alive. I am happy they are offering compensation, I simply called to tell them just in case it was something on their end.

The feed store said they hadn't had many complaints, just a couple here and there dying but no one else ordered the same volume of chicks I did. So loosing 2-3 isn't the same as loosing 40.

Sorry
hugs.gif

Forty-one chicks... Oh man. I am so sorry for your losses, that is heartbreaking.
hugs.gif
May your survivors thrive! If you're in northern California, I can get you some healthy adult hens. Doubt it, but it was worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom