endangered ducks?

I do not think anyone could provide you with a list of endangered breeds in order. I do not think there is only 80 hookbill hens left either, and if there is I do not see how that is possible. One hen can easily produce over 100 offspring a year, they just need a breeder to help them do it. I heard that number mentioned in a youtube video from the channel a chick called albert, I did not believe it when he said that, maybe in whatever country he is in there is only 80 hookbill hens. They are available from at least one US hatchery that I know of, and if a hatchery has gotten their hands on a breed it is not going to be at any risk of going endangered any time soon.

I do not think anyone could provide you with a list of endangered breeds in order. I do not think there is only 80 hookbill hens left either, and if there is I do not see how that is possible. One hen can easily produce over 100 offspring a year, they just need a breeder to help them do it. I heard that number mentioned in a youtube video from the channel a chick called albert, I did not believe it when he said that, maybe in whatever country he is in there is only 80 hookbill hens. They are available from at least one US hatchery that I know of, and if a hatchery has gotten their hands on a breed it is not going to be at any risk of going endangered any time soon.
what about the others ? i know AYLESBURYs lay few eggs and most are not fertile and the shetlands are not even on most list

See if this list helps you out. I believe the makers of this list look for breeders of these endangered birds, and only put the amount of breeding birds they are able to locate. It doesn't mean they found them all as there are plenty of small scale breeders doing their part to continue the species.

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/conservation-priority-list#Ducks
that list is only of the people involved in that group and they dont even list shetlands. iv contacted them and they only record the duck for there own group

thats the video im referencing hes from the netherlands but still find alot of his videos to be a stretch on the truth or lies

I'm not seeing your link, but I think I have seen the video your referring to. I remember thinking he seemed like he meant well, but wasn't the most accurate source of information as I noticed several things he said conflicted with other more reliable sources.

I want to say Metzer's said awhile back that they were building a flock of Hookbills that they were going to to make available soon. But so far I don't see them for sale yet.

Regarding th
I'm not seeing your link, but I think I have seen the video your referring to. I remember thinking he seemed like he meant well, but wasn't the most accurate source of information as I noticed several things he said conflicted with other more reliable sources.

I want to say Metzer's said awhile back that they were building a flock of Hookbills that they were going to to make available soon. But so far I don't see them for sale yet.
Last month i have asked Metzer Farms about their Hookbill project:
--- snip ---
HI Frank,

Unfortunately we have sold our breeders and will not be offering them in the future. They are very difficult to hatch.

Thanks,
Ashley

On 11/03/2018 06:22 PM, Frank wrote:
Inquiry:
Good evening! Quick question: Are you planning to sell Dutch Hookbill duckings in the foreseeable future? I'd like to have some for their egg-laying qualities and to preserve the breed. Best regards from WV, Frank
-- snap --
Did the same for other hatcheries and the answer was always the same: Too difficult to raise, low fertility, sick or crippled ducklings, …
I'm afraid what's left of the hookbills is on such a small genetic base that there are symptoms of inbreeding. It might be necessary to crossbreed them with (wild) mallards and then re-select the hook-bill in future generations.

Back
Top Bottom