Ended up with 2 roosters and 2 hens!

NewchickieLTJ

Chirping
May 12, 2019
I have three 4 month old chicks that have been together since birth, and 1 hen that’s 1.5 years old. If I rehome both roosters, my 4 month old hen is going to lose her two buddies. They go everywhere together! Should I keep one rooster? Or will that be to the detriment of my two hens in the long run? Should I rehome both roosters, and my 2 hens will adjust and maybe become friends? Right now, my one older hen is a bit of a loner but sometimes joins the group, and my 3 babies are inseparable. Thanks!

Last edited:
If you can keep a Cockerel I would. If not the two hens will probably become friends because they are flock birds and need others. Totally depends on the Coop size too. Always one will be dominant so two hens sometimes won't work either. Best to have about 5..

If you can keep a Cockerel I would. If not the two hens will probably become friends because they are flock birds and need others. Totally depends on the Coop size too. Always one will be dominant so two hens sometimes won't work either. Best to have about 5..
I’d like to keep the flock small. I don’t have that big of a yard, and the coop holds 4-6....but comfortably 4 imo. One of these roosters was always a mystery (a silkie) but the other was promised to me to be a pullet :/ I guess I could keep 1 rooster, and look for another hen. So then I’d have 3:1?

Last edited:
I’d like to keep the flock small. I don’t have that big of a yard, and the coop holds 4-6....but comfortably 4 imo. One of these roosters was always a mystery (a silkie) but the other was promised to me to be a pullet :/ I guess I could keep 1 rooster, and look for another hen. So then I’d have 3:1?
So all Bantam? I'd keep the Silkie Cockerel. Generally they are easy on a small number of hens and still keep the peace..

I had one rooster to 3 hens for quite some time before adding more hens. That particular rooster was fine with 3 hens, but I did feel he needed more so I did end up getting more.

On the other hand, my other pen with one rooster and 2 hens was disastrous. That rooster was VERY assertive and over mated the hens terribly. He had to be removed for the sake of the hens.

I think it really depends on the rooster's temperament.

So all Bantam? I'd keep the Silkie Cockerel. Generally they are easy on a small number of hens and still keep the peace..
It’s 2 silkie hens, 1 silkie rooster, and 2 Easter Egger rooster. The Easter Egger seems “nicer” to me, but I have no idea what will happen when they start mating etc. The Easter Egger also has a quieter crow than the silkie...but I’m sure that could change too haha!

It’s 2 silkie hens, 1 silkie rooster, and 2 Easter Egger rooster. The Easter Egger seems “nicer” to me, but I have no idea what will happen when they start mating etc. The Easter Egger also has a quieter crow than the silkie...but I’m sure that could change too haha!
Well definitely...
It depends if you want little pet birds basically like the Silkie or egg laying birds ?

Back
Top Bottom