Enemies in the gate: An awful puppy

So my dad got a golden doodle puppy last April, so he's about ten months old now. As of yesterday, my flock of thirteen has slowly dwarfed into a flock of 4 because of him. We put up a fence, using garden posts and fencing, to let them range in our back yard. Today, the puppy, Biscuit, learned that he can jump the fence, and I caught him mid tossing my speckled sussex. She's alive, but sensitive right now.
He jumped over a portion of the fence that was beginning to lean over, it rained alot the other day.
I believe that he can't jump it now because I straightened it up, but that remains to be seen.

My question is if I should add an electric wire to the top of the fence so he doesn't jump, or if I should build a fully enclosed, smaller run and only let them range while supervised. Or both? I can't get rid of Biscuit, that isn't my choice, and he's imprinted on me and my parents.
I'm just afraid that I need to take action now, or else he'll get the rest of my chooks.
Any thoughts?
I rescued a 3 year old black lab in June. I only have four chickens. She was determined to go after them. I started by having her on leash and bringing her down to coop. Scolded any aggressive behavior. Pretty soon she was fine. Then had her on deck while they free ranged around it. Eventually she was bored with them. Then took her on leash near them while free ranging and held her and again scolded if any attempt at aggression. And on and on. She couldn’t care less about them now or they her.

You're very lucky to live in the UK not the US or your dog would be in grave and deadly danger. Here, it's not always realized (by city dwellers) but it's perfectly legal to shoot a dog who is harassing's and killing livestock. Animal control will seize and destroy it if they spot it happening.
That is not a fact for every part of the US. Animal control is handled differently by state and county. Why would you shoot your own dog? It's a puppy in this thread. Training and supervision is what's needed.
I agree with electric fences as well. One shock from that and one of my dogs doesn't even get near our run. But, I've also trained them to leave the chickens and ducks alone.
They are trained to leave and drop it. Once my rambunctious dog scooped up a duckling. It happened so quick that my husband told the dog to drop it and it immediately did. The duckling is now over a yr old and not easily scooped up. 😁 Training and supervision is definitely needed for this pup.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of shock collars but might make an exception for this guy. If you would use it, you need to make him think the shock is coming from the chickens, not you. Otherwise, he'll just wait until you are out of sight to go after another chicken.
Most who say this have never attempted to train this way. There's more to using an electric shock collar. Its a training tool implemented in steps. It's not used just for punishment. It's used to learn boundaries. There are many dog trainers that offer classes on implementing different training tools. As the dog owner, you pick what you're comfortable with and what works for the dog.

When I first get a pup, I use a long lead to teach them boundaries and commands. The one I uses is 15'. We have no fence, so my dogs have to come when called. We work on recall and commands in the house and in the yard. Then we give them a little more freedom and test the commands they have been working on. Eventually they don't use the long lead unless they need reminder training. It's really important to train your dog. There are many different tools and training techniques out there. You have to decide what you're comfortable with and what works for the dog. You tube is actually a good place to start or find a local trainer if you're not comfortable doing it on your own.

So my dad got a golden doodle puppy last April, so he's about ten months old now. As of yesterday, my flock of thirteen has slowly dwarfed into a flock of 4 because of him. We put up a fence, using garden posts and fencing, to let them range in our back yard. Today, the puppy, Biscuit, learned that he can jump the fence, and I caught him mid tossing my speckled sussex. She's alive, but sensitive right now.
He jumped over a portion of the fence that was beginning to lean over, it rained alot the other day.
I believe that he can't jump it now because I straightened it up, but that remains to be seen.

My question is if I should add an electric wire to the top of the fence so he doesn't jump, or if I should build a fully enclosed, smaller run and only let them range while supervised. Or both? I can't get rid of Biscuit, that isn't my choice, and he's imprinted on me and my parents.
I'm just afraid that I need to take action now, or else he'll get the rest of my chooks.
Any thoughts?
I’m sorry for the loss of your chickens. My family owns a vet hospital in a region that does have a lot of chickens interacting with dogs and the best thing to do is protect your coop and only allow them out when Biscuit is put away. However, if he does unfortunately and incredibly sadly get ahold and kill another you might try this tactic (I hate it and seems a bit barberic but it is effective) - tie the chicken around the dogs neck for a day, they often won’t touch another ever again. I know it sounds so awful, but it often works:(

If you're not keen on hot wire you can do something less aggressive but more time consuming and fabricate coyotes roller bars. These should be secured no less than 8 inches away from the top of the fence and likely no more than 12. If that's not something you are willing to do you can add curved fence extensions along the top. But make sure you have made preparations to prevent digging under as well. Sorry about your chickens. GL getting that pup under control.

I’m sorry for the loss of your chickens. My family owns a vet hospital in a region that does have a lot of chickens interacting with dogs and the best thing to do is protect your coop and only allow them out when Biscuit is put away. However, if he does unfortunately and incredibly sadly get ahold and kill another you might try this tactic (I hate it and seems a bit barberic but it is effective) - tie the chicken around the dogs neck for a day, they often won’t touch another ever again. I know it sounds so awful, but it often works:(
We’ve had to tie a chicken around my dogs neck because she would kill any that got out. It definitely works though!

Soooo I know that tethering dogs is controversial, but getting a tie out for the puppy would be helpful. Shore up the chickens' run and work on training too. Those things take time though, so in the mean time a tie down would be a good option. Just make sure to put it somewhere the dog has access to the shelter, supervise initially to make sure the dog doesn't freak out, and don't leave the dog on it for extended periods of time. My family has used in when we're out in the woods to prevent the dog from chasing deer.

You're very lucky to live in the UK not the US or your dog would be in grave and deadly danger. Here, it's not always realized (by city dwellers) but it's perfectly legal to shoot a dog who is harassing's and killing livestock. Animal control will seize and destroy it if they spot it happening. As for why? Simple, a dog that starts killing livestock, even small ones like chickens, has a good chance of graduating to larger things.
And don't anyone start on how "that can't happen" as I've observed it before as have other animal keepers I know. It's not the dogs fault, it's always considered to be the owners fault, but the poor dog is the one who pays the price for the owners not restraining it.

As to breaking him from harming the chickens? Find a GOOD dog trainer at once and ask questions about how to break him from harassing. He's killing animals and that is not something you want to have said about a dog in your control. You are doing him no good in allowing it. Should he kill someone else's beloved chook or moggy you'd be very liable.
I have heard of the dead chicken method. I know of someone who used it and it supposedly succeeded. Hopefully it would work for you. But you need at once to keep that dog by any means possible, from continuing to threaten and kill other animals.
I'm rather new to posting, so hopefully this is going to at least the original post and maybe everyone else too. (-: Lots of great advice here! (I don't agree with barbed wire, but I agree with inconsistency of the dead chicken method) Thumbs up to hot wire, good fencing, and also, clip your hen's wings so they can't get over the fence...keep them safe. Tethering will keep him away from them but dogs can slip out of collars and harnesses. Noose-type collars are dangerous when used with a tether or tie-out. I've worked with dogs for many years. Golden doodles are usually more sensitive, which makes them "pleasers" and more trainable. To a 10 month old, everything is a toy/playmate and they have little or no concept of hurting others unless taught. "Tossing" is usually more of a play behavior. So, yes, find a good trainer. For even 1 private session, you'll learn a lot of specific things that will help greatly. I agree with shock collars for situations and dogs that call for them. This would be that, however you need to be consistent, set up "training sessions" in which you work specifically on this and prevent ALL possibility of him being in unsupervised eye sight of the chickens. He needs to learn not to even stare at them. If not an electronic collar, then a stern voice AND firm leash correction is warranted. Verbal praise, treats and encouragement for being relaxed, unconcerned and focused on you. However you go about it, he needs to learn that THIS is serious. Once under control on leash (focused on you, not them), you may be able to desensitize him to them and he may end up a great dog in this respect. But go slow and never trust him. Being a Golden Doodle, I'd be cautiously optimistic, taking "baby steps" as he succeeds at the tasks you give him. It's far better to go all-out and work with the dog now than just fence the chickens and risk him getting to them again. If this behavior isn't turned around, he'll always see them as prey or at least fun chew toys. Good luck! You can do it! (-:

Any thoughts?
Its important that your family fix the fence so he can't get out and begin training Biscuit immediately. If he's ever caught chasing or killing someone else's chickens (off your property) he could get shot . Animal Control can also seize him (without a warrant) if caught! Wishing you the best! https://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2020/title-4/section-4-41/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 06-54-39 2020 Oklahoma Statutes Title 4 Animals §4-41 Animals chasing...png
    Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 06-54-39 2020 Oklahoma Statutes Title 4 Animals §4-41 Animals chasing...png
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
That is not a fact for every part of the US. Animal control is handled differently by state and county. Why would you shoot your own dog? It's a puppy in this thread. Training and supervision is what's needed.
I agree with electric fences as well. One shock from that and one of my dogs doesn't even get near our run. But, I've also trained them to leave the chickens and ducks alone.
They are trained to leave and drop it. Once my rambunctious dog scooped up a duckling. It happened so quick that my husband told the dog to drop it and it immediately did. The duckling is now over a yr old and not easily scooped up. 😁 Training and supervision is definitely needed for this pup.

This puppy needs some serious training in a hurry! It needs to listen to the words "No, Stay and Leave it"!
In this instance, it's an agressive 10 month old puppy that has killed a lot of chickens.
That's something I would definitely be worried about!

Back
Top Bottom