Enemies in the gate: An awful puppy

Pics

Tobymartin601

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2021
So my dad got a golden doodle puppy last April, so he's about ten months old now. As of yesterday, my flock of thirteen has slowly dwarfed into a flock of 4 because of him. We put up a fence, using garden posts and fencing, to let them range in our back yard. Today, the puppy, Biscuit, learned that he can jump the fence, and I caught him mid tossing my speckled sussex. She's alive, but sensitive right now.
He jumped over a portion of the fence that was beginning to lean over, it rained alot the other day.
I believe that he can't jump it now because I straightened it up, but that remains to be seen.

My question is if I should add an electric wire to the top of the fence so he doesn't jump, or if I should build a fully enclosed, smaller run and only let them range while supervised. Or both? I can't get rid of Biscuit, that isn't my choice, and he's imprinted on me and my parents.
I'm just afraid that I need to take action now, or else he'll get the rest of my chooks.
Any thoughts?

So my dad got a golden doodle puppy last April, so he's about ten months old now. As of yesterday, my flock of thirteen has slowly dwarfed into a flock of 4 because of him. We put up a fence, using garden posts and fencing, to let them range in our back yard. Today, the puppy, Biscuit, learned that he can jump the fence, and I caught him mid tossing my speckled sussex. She's alive, but sensitive right now.
He jumped over a portion of the fence that was beginning to lean over, it rained alot the other day.
I believe that he can't jump it now because I straightened it up, but that remains to be seen.

My question is if I should add an electric wire to the top of the fence so he doesn't jump, or if I should build a fully enclosed, smaller run and only let them range while supervised. Or both? I can't get rid of Biscuit, that isn't my choice, and he's imprinted on me and my parents.
I'm just afraid that I need to take action now, or else he'll get the rest of my chooks.
Any thoughts?
Absolutely let them free range ONLY if you're around to supervise.
A hot wire works great. Personally I would set it up at nose level and then he'll stay away from the fence entirely.

Any thoughts?
scold him yell at him like a crazy person it will insure that he stops before its too late let him by them under extreme supervision and anytime he even looks at them funny sternly say no!

Absolutely let them free range ONLY if you're around to supervise.
A hot wire works great. Personally I would set it up at nose level and then he'll stay away from the fence entirely.
I agree with Isadora, but with this modification: set two strands of electric fence, at chest and nose height, about a foot away from the existing fence, so he can't even get NEAR the chickens' fence. Yelling at him will do no good. He will have no idea what you're barking about, just as you have no idea what he's barking about most of the time. The electric fence will keep the chickens safe whether you are out there watching him or not.

Put a string of barbed wire along the top of the fence and when he jumps he will get poked it may seem kind of cruel but it might work. also if you have a dead chicken tie a piece around his neck and Let It rot there this will deter him from ever wanting to eat or kill your chickens again, still kind of cruel but which would you rather dead chickens or alive chickens.

Put a string of barbed wire along the top of the fence and when he jumps he will get poked it may seem kind of cruel but it might work. also if you have a dead chicken tie a piece around his neck and Let It rot there this will deter him from ever wanting to eat or kill your chickens again, still kind of cruel but which would you rather dead chickens or alive chickens.
I'm sorry I have to disagree with both of these. Barbed wire could do your pup a serious injury resulting in expensive vet bills. And a lot of dogs love to rub and roll in rotting dead things. This is not a deterrent to a lot of dogs, but a treat. And think: Do you really want your dog carrying a piece of putrid, decaying meat around his neck for several days if he lives in the house with you? There are better ways.

I'm sorry I didn't know it was an inside dog
And yes I know someone personally who has done the dead chicken method and it has worked. but not everything is for everybody I hope I didn't offend you

I'm sorry I didn't know it was an inside dog
And yes I know someone personally who has done the dead chicken method and it has worked. but not everything is for everybody I hope I didn't offend you
I was not offended, and I hope you weren't either. I simply disagreed with you and gave my reasons why. I think there is far too much concern about people being "offended," and I'm not sure I even know what that means. I guess I would be offended (hurt feelings?) if you called me ugly or stupid, and of course you did no such thing. I'm amazed to hear the dead chicken method actually worked for someone! I've heard of many cases where people tried it with different and disappointing results. Also, I don't know if OP's dog is an indoor dog or not. Mine are, and I am not tying dead meat around their necks, no how, no way! :sick Lol.

Back
Top Bottom