Yeah! This is what I’m looking for! How are the roosters temperament? I know you can’t speak for every bird there but I was just wondering because I love roosters! I’ve had one mean one and I swear I will never do it again!
Mine was the sweetest I've ever owned. He would just want to be petted and was so calm. Sadly he got fly strike and didn't make it right after this picture was taken 🙁 I can't speak for what his temperament would have become but up until this age he was spectacular

Mine was the sweetest I've ever owned. He would just want to be petted and was so calm. Sadly he got fly strike and didn't make it right after this picture was taken 🙁 I can't speak for what his temperament would have become but up until this age he was spectacular
Oh sad! I’m sorry to hear that! Thank you for the information!

Wait... why would black keep feather shredding to a minimum? 😂
Research the Lavender gene. You need to cross them back to Black to create splits to breed back to Lavender to maintain the quality of the feathers.

An no, I've not personally gotten birds from them, but many, many people have, and enjoyed the quality of the birds. I planned on ordering some from them, but didn't have the space when they were available and now they are practically sold out of everything I wanted.

Are the English type Orpingtons healthier/better than the American (more than just the fact that they look more fabulous and meet SOP)? Pure curiosity on my part.
Actually, if we are being completely honest, American-type Orpingtons are probably healthier than their English counterparts, if only because the American Orpingtons are not as closely bred so they have more vigor. English Orpingtons are usually maintained by breeders that line-breed to maintain type and pattern/coloration. I should mention that show-quality APA-type Orpingtons would fall under the same category of potential issues. Hatchery-bred Orpingtons are the ones that are probably the most healthy, although IMO they are the most hideous.

Additionally the American Poultry Association does not recognize "English" Orpingtons, bred to the UK SOP. English Orpingtons can only be shown in the AOV (All Other Varieties) Class and may not advance from there. If you're looking to show in the US, finding a breeder of APA show-quality Orpingtons would be the way to go.
Also, do you have any tried and true tips for managing Orpingtons in the Texas heat? Thanks!
I did lose a few birds to heat stroke last year. But it was very hot and dry last year. This year already appears to be wetter. But the humidity can be just as rough on them. I recommend pens with lots of shade and fresh cool water daily. I actually started turning on a sprinkler in the breeding pens in the barn to wet the dirt and cool them off. On really bad days I'd hose down the concrete floor in the back of the barn for them to rest on.

Ahhh ok, that makes a lot of sense. I completely understand the need for *aesthetic*. I know I should consider Naked Necks, since they can handle the heat better than most...but they're just so ugly. And I'm a shallow. Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping with lots of shade and construction sand, plus moving to a dry, windy climate in far West Texas, I can manage the heat.
Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Back
Top Bottom