English Lavender Orpington, really hoping not a rooster.

keljean80

Hatching
Jul 14, 2015
Wonder Lake, IL
I purchased a beautiful English lavender Orpington from a local breeder and I am really hoping it is not a rooster as I had bought this one to replace one that turned out to be a rooster and I live in a residential area. It is around 6-8 weeks. Any help would be great, really hoping I don't have to rehome it because it is beautiful and my son is attached. Thanks

Agreed! I am sorry to say but, it looks like you got another roo.

I have a group of 12 7 week olds and I got 4 roos so I know your pain.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I agree you have a cockerel. Will the breeder exchange the bird for you? Did you pay for a pullet?

Thanks for the help, was pretty sure it was a roo. The breeder was nice enough to trade me for a hen a week younger so everything worked out in the end!

Thanks for the help, was pretty sure it was a roo. The breeder was nice enough to trade me for a hen a week younger so everything worked out in the end!

Glad that all worked out!

Could you tell me what is the difference, if any, between a lavender orpington vs an English lavender orpington? They look the same to me. We have pure bred lavender orpingtons.

The breeder told me it was an English, not sure the difference but this is what I found when I looked into it.

"Orpingtons were originally developed in England during the 1880s. They were brought to America in the 1890s and gained popularity very rapidly, based on their excellence as a meat bird. As the commercial broiler and roaster market developed, the Orpingtons began looking less like their English forefathers. Now, there are significant differences between "American" Orpingtons and true English Orpingtons, most notably the comparison of their head to body sizes. "

Thank you for the info. Interesting. We have English Golden Retriever dogs vs American Goldens. The bigger head applies to our English GR's as well. So, big headedness is an English trait, perhaps :)

Back
Top Bottom