English Orpingtons

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by English Orpingtons, May 20, 2019.

1. English Orpingtons

English Orpingtons In the Brooder

May 20, 2019
    Hello,
    I am not new to chickens however I am getting back into poultry. We have a dozen English Orpingtons that I kept back. After a long illness, I have been searching to bring new blood into my flock but I have been disappointed in what I have been seeing as of lately. I do have a goal, a small boutique farm for my retirement years. I know I need to eat better if Iwant to live a longer healthier life.

So, here it is, We have a small farm in growing zone 5b. We are now in retirement years but there is no real retirement. Now I need to add new blood to my English Orpington chicken flock.

I am looking at specialized gardening of Raspberries, Blackberries, Strawberries, Blueberries and then the usual veggies with a need of Bees coming into play. Also looking at Figs, Japanese Maples and Magnolias that can take the colder climates. Another interest is farming fish on a very small scale due to our natural spring. Maybe adding to our herd of goats and increasing our chicken flock again. If not increasing English Orpington chicken flock, we may change what chickens we get entirely as I am not seeing the quality I am accustomed to seeing in English Orpingtons. I will always keep my one flock of English Orpingtons but I may need to add another flock of different chickens.

I have great interested in doing up a
    Small Greenhouse 12ft X 36ft. No, not planning on duplicating A Blast From The Past but it is an interesting thought though.

2. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    Very cool goals, please keep us updated in the Homesteading forum! Your setup seems very similar to mine, and I also have a very strong soft spot for English Orps - when I get my new shipment of chicks at the end of May, they will make up over half my flock! I have a silver lace and a black currently (the black Drogon is actually a lavender Orp mixed with a black Australorp, she's just gorgeous) and I'm getting blue, buff, and lavender chicks from Meyer on the 29th.

3. BugStalker

BugStalker Songster

Feb 2, 2016
    Welcome! I wish you the best!

4. Camellia

Camellia Songster

May 14, 2019
    Austria
    welcome to byc! Good luck on your flock :ya

5. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

rjohns39, fldiver97, 007Sean and 6 others like this.
  6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your flock and in finding the new blood that you are looking for.

7. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us and I hope you'll enjoy it this site as much as we all do!

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the preceding link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

9. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    You have admirable goals.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: