English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
I went out to clean up yard this evening. Remains coming from no less than three carcasses, one a 8-point buck are scattered all about. A lot of white dogs turds and bone shards making barefoot travel a bit like a mine field. Olaf also met his end and had to be trashed. Daughter will be ticked.

Today kids and I went out for a walk in woods with cat and dog (Lucy, female). Kids and critters did not even know I was present as I hung back so they could explore. Kids came across two neighbor kids that had a dog with them. The strange dog began going after cat and barking at my daughter. Lucy was not engaged until about 5 minutes after kids met up as she was out tracking squirrels and marking. Then Lucy came barreling in and attacked the other dog in a very big way and it was not about dominance, she was trying to kill it right under nose of the kids. I had to run in from bushes and pull Lucy off. Other dog ran clearly hurt. Lucy has hand in killing two other dogs I know of so this not something to be taken lightly. If Ben were present, then dog would have been dead before I could git there. I am sore from that fiasco and anticipating owner of that dog coming over at some point. Saving grace is altercation occurred in its entirety on our property.

The neighbor kids and mine did not really understand what was going on. Bringing strange dogs in will be guarded against much more aggressively.

Dog owner just came over indicating their dog is in surgery now. Based on neighbor kid's description to him, attack occurred on his property. If that were correct, then I would be in trouble. My dogs are up on shots, vet appears to have expressed concern about Lucy.

This is likely not finished and Lucy's life may be in danger because she was doing her job.

So sorry to hear that. Is there any evidence (blood on the ground or something) that could prove it was on your property? The other dogs Lucy has killed - were they on your property?

I have not looked for blood. Will wait for a police officer to look for blood so a deposition can be given without contaminating site.

Both previous were on our property with one in middle of our woods and other with victim just off our front porch. Lucy had help with previous rounds I think.

This part is not fun. At work where LG dogs are Akbash, MSS (maul-shovel-shutup) is easier and more feasible as property much bigger. Too many neighbors here with dogs.

Looks like we are going to be OK.

Back to normal problems. A raccoon I think came into barn last night to feed on chicken carcass left by owl about a month ago. Cameras are out of juice so will be set back up to see what raccoon does. Then fence will be reset and dogs put into motion to catch raccoon by cutting off its escape route. When it came in last night the chickens were not disturbed which alerts dogs. Fence shorted out by coming into contact with one of very same live traps I often use on raccoon. Trap was neither armed or baited and left too close to wire. Somebody bumped trap, probably a chicken,

Back
Top Bottom