English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Dogs and I took predawn stroll and came back to hear a game rooster giving a low intensity alarm. Dogs ran over and picked up scent of fox that was almost out of sight. Dogs chased fox for a couple minutes, then came back panting obviously satisfied as was eye. Fox comes by a lot more than it actually causes trouble. Our rabbit population is very good this year. Beautiful morning all around. Chickens coming off roost later and later. We had an excellent weekend too where Honey protected chickens around house all by herself.

Actual pictures.
IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_1355.JPG
IMG_1367.JPG

Pack of all females different when responding to coyotes when compared to presence of an adult male. Females held back without howling and all barking down from essentially the front porch. Female in barn was totally quite.

Owls did not breed successfully now for three years in a row. They are squabbling and vying for mates and territory now for another go with eggs in nest by early January. Displays appear to have involved bird feeder outside son's bedroom window.

Two kids and I shared the double sized upper bunk last night. My son has really big feet and my daughter has hard heals. We sleep like the Croods.

Owing to how high they are on the food chain, I think it is related to activities of other owls. The environment here may be saturated with Great-horned Owls. Raccoons might be getting some. I have a neighbor that appears to be shooting owls but losses are occuring before owlets start flying around and begging for food. Loss of even one parent I think would end an owl brood.

Back
Top Bottom