English shepherd

TytoAlba

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2015
Kansas City, Missouri
I was researching and reading some other threads about livestock guardian dogs, and that got me to wondering what kind of farm dog my grandparents had on their farm when I was a kid. Dekel18042 introduced me to English shepherds and they seem very much like what my grandparents had: a great general farm dog that could do a lot of different things, guarding livestock, herding, bonding to the family, and general farm work. They seem to have developed in America from dogs brought over by settlers and bred for function, without being as specialized as European livestock guardian dogs or breeds that have been bred for physical conformation.

I'm very new to BYC and there are a couple of pretty old threads about English shepherds, but rather than reviving one of those old threads I thought I would start a new one. I would love to hear more about anyone's experience with English shepherds and get updated information about people who might raise them. (I'll be searching the internet too, but testimonials of any breeders are invaluable!) To those of you who posted about getting new English shepherd puppies several years ago, I hope you find this thread and can update us on how your puppies have turned into adults. All stories, and especially pictures, are welcome!

Sounds awesome!
thumbsup.gif

I don't breed (or even keep) English Shepherds, but I love dogs and I study breeds of dogs, so I thought I would chime in:

English Shepherds are working dogs, bred to be intelligent (know when to attack, stay still, and how to work animals and obey people), loyal, and great companions. English Shepherds descended from dogs brought from England and southern Scotland, and they also gave rise to modern "show" Collies and Border Collies. They are bred for herding (full of energy, intelligent, naturally know how to round-things-up, and job oriented), guarding (protective and intelligent), and hunting (obedient and great learners). They have never really been used as show dogs, which means they have not been bred as much for appearance as for their ability to help farmers out.

Here's a great place to get information: http://www.englishshepherd.org/breed-history.html

I am starting with an English Shepherd male pup as of today. Progress will be documented as previous effort with German Pointer. This guy will be working with female German Pointer. My hope is their differing strategies will be complementary. The German Pointer is every bit as smart as an English Shepherd and I think more willing to take fight predator when barking alone may not push bad guys far enough away.

Sable colored pup.

Pointer he is teamed with.

A third larger dog likely an LGD cross will be acquired in a couple years at time first goats and sheep acquired.

Here's my pack! The only ES in the Picture is on the far left, the rest are Scotch Collies. Check out my website onegoodfarmdog.wordpress.com

I absolutely love my dogs and the work they do. We are Expecting 2 litters in the next week!!!!

Interesting confusion in literature about what Scotch Collies are versus English Shepherds. Scotch Collies reputed by some to be ancestral to English Shepherds by parties suggesting the latter is bred to a certain look. The alternative is the English Shepherd is closer to the form of what Scotch Collies were before the Scotch Collie was split up into the various collie breeds.

We have a new puppy and she is an English Shepherd. So far she is amazing and seems very solid around chickens. We also have a 2.5 year old Collie, and he is struggling a lot to stay calm near chickens. He is a guy with challenges though (epilepsy diagnosed early this year, 3x day medication for that and a serious love of barking), and we're hoping the puppy will grow up to be the stable influence around here.

Attachments

• IMG_5329.jpeg
    IMG_5329.jpeg
    518.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6152.jpeg
    IMG_6152.jpeg
    896.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom