Enlarged craw, sick hen

artistwantobe

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 2, 2009
my young hen has been acting poorly. She acts like she needs to throw up. Raising her head and moving her neck upward. I caught her to check her. Looked in her mouth, nothing. Her craw in huge! As big as my open cupped hand. I got her to eat some plain Greek yogurt.
Anybody have a answer fo this? I saw her eating some comfrey leaves the other day.

my young hen has been acting poorly. She acts like she needs to throw up. Raising her head and moving her neck upward. I caught her to check her. Looked in her mouth, nothing. Her craw in huge! As big as my open cupped hand. I got her to eat some plain Greek yogurt.
Anybody have a answer fo this? I saw her eating some comfrey leaves the other day.
Do you have photos of your hen?
When did you check her crop?
How old is she?
You mention she is feeling poorly, what other symptoms are you seeing - lethargy, not eating/drinking, trouble walking, etc.

Re-check the crop first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat or drink - it should be empty.
Read the following article and let us know what the crop feel like in the morning, if it's not empty, then you need to start treatment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom