enlarged crop - need advice ASAP

Quick update: Hannah is still eating/ drinking - however her crop gets largely engulfed with food and her health, feathers, coloring, etc... is still compromised. I'm still trying the same techniques. Whatever is blocking her food intake is certainly challenging to remove. I'm not sure what else to do? I decided to let her outside in a fenced pen with dirt only to giver her some space and so she can "be herself again" or at least try... she definitely needed more room to keep her happy. She still comes inside most of the time for feeding and so I can monitor her food intake, but no free -ranging. She's still on a liquid/ mash diet and lots of water. Any suggestions - keep me posted. Tough day today, there's a mystery animal snatching up some of my favorite birds when they're free-ranging. Quite sad indeed. Not sure what type of animal - however it seems he/she is stealthy, quiet and quick... and they travel distances. Farm life can be tough sometimes!

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I recently went through pretty much the same thing with one of my hens. After trying EVERYTHING, I ended up doing the surgery myself. She is recovering very well. It isn't an easy thing to do...but I felt I was left with no choice. She was SO blocked. After seeing what was in there, I know she never would have passed all that. I hope your girl recovers soon.
fl.gif

Thanks so much! Appreciate the info... me too. She's a sweety and needs to get better. It's been a tough go for her, so let's hope these remedies start working.

I recently had a silky with crop problems. Her crop was real movable though and I could feel the food squishing around between my fingers. When I would pick her up she would vomit watery stuff that smelled. I would hold her and give her olive oil about 3 times a day and massage her crop, she would vomit more watery stuff. Some where I read you could give them 1 tsp of taramicin to 1 cup of water, after I did that the next day she was already better, now she is fine and back to normal. I only had taramicin so I used what I had and I believed it worked. Does her crop feel squishy or is it hard lump?

I have one with this problem too!!! I could never "fix" her. She still has a HUGE craw. However, her color is great and she is happy and laying!! I have thought about getting her a crop bra, but it is soooo hot, I haven't wanted to put anything on her. She is coping with her problem. Unfortunately, her name has changed from 'Tubby' to 'throwup chicken'....Yuck!! She is a Dom and very, very sweet. But, with her crop problem, she is slated for freezer heaven in a couple of months. (I hate that because the Doms are my special pets). She eats---alot--probabaly to make up for her crop issues, her feathers are beautiful and she maybe a little slower than the others, but she can sure keep up! So, best of luck...I hope your chickie gets better......

Back
Top Bottom