Enlarged crop

Thank you so much for helping!
Her poop is solid enough to be a little pile like normal with a white deposit on top, but it does look yellowish and a bit wet. I'll try to get a pic today.
They were on a medicated chick starter, could it still be Coccidiosis? I was just about to move them on to grower instead of starter. Should I hold off?
For the sour crop should I go straight to the monistat treatment or try something else first?
I'll look at TSC for the Corid. I'm in Canada so all our drugs and stuff are different.
Thank you again!

Thank you so much for helping!
Her poop is solid enough to be a little pile like normal with a white deposit on top, but it does look yellowish and a bit wet. I'll try to get a pic today.
They were on a medicated chick starter, could it still be Coccidiosis? I was just about to move them on to grower instead of starter. Should I hold off?
For the sour crop should I go straight to the monistat treatment or try something else first?
I'll look at TSC for the Corid. I'm in Canada so all our drugs and stuff are different.
Thank you again!
Since you are in Canada, you may have to ask your vet for Corid (Amprolium).
Yes, chicks can still have an overload while on medicated feed. Not sure what the Coccidiostat is in medicated feed in Canada, it should be on your label.
Personally, if it's time for a new bag of feed, I would use unmedicated starter or a grower/all flock feed - aim for 18-20% protein.

Personally, if it's time for a new bag of feed, I would use unmedicated starter or a grower/all flock feed - aim for 18-20% protein.
Ok, that's what I got, thanks!
I don't have a vet that will see chickens, so I'm not sure where to get the Amprolium.
So when I put her in the dog crate to isolate her I felt around her crop. It went down a just little over night and now I can feel a bunch of grit in there. She pooped twice immediately after going in the crate and they look opposite:
image000000(24).jpg

Attachments

• image000000(25).jpg
    image000000(25).jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for responding!
Does the crop feel doughy, hard, squishy? I would give her some coconut oil and lightly massage the crop.
It feels soft and squishy, not really doughy. Like a water balloon that's not full all the way. Going by the article it's not impacted because there's nothing hard in there except grit, and she was eating and drinking normally. She just has water today. Can I give her yogurt? I tried giving her coconut oil but she really resisted after the first little bit. She seems to like the crop massage though.

You can give yogurt if you wish.
For coconut oil, I put it in the fridge to harden it, then break it up. Let the bird eat it on their own.
So she ate most of the coconut oil and some yogurt today. When I got her out of the coop this morning her crop felt almost back to normal except I still felt a fair bit of grit in there. Is that normal?

So she ate most of the coconut oil and some yogurt today. When I got her out of the coop this morning her crop felt almost back to normal except I still felt a fair bit of grit in there. Is that normal?
How is she doing? I've got a young sure that seems to have the same symptoms as yours did. TIA!!

How is she doing? I've got a young sure that seems to have the same symptoms as yours did. TIA!!
Sorry about your chicken!
She's just fine! I left her with water and yogurt for a little longer (another day maybe?) and kept massaging the grit in her her crop every once in a while. Within a week it was cleared up - one morning I couldn't figure out which one had had the problem. I should mention, one afternoon I found a fence staple inside the dog crate with her. I don't know if it was a coincidence, or how she would have gotten it out without any injuries, but it was definitely weird.

Back
Top Bottom