Enlarged crop

SJaneDoe

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
Central Ontario, Canada
I have a 7 week old chick that has a puffy crop. I tried to check it out and it's soft like a water balloon but there's no bad smell coming from her. She seems to be eating and drinking normally, but is a bit slower than the others. It seemed a bit smaller this morning but not totally empty. Is this still sour crop if there's no smell? Should I start trying home remedies anyway?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210620_160254.jpg
    20210620_160254.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 53
I just started giving them grit in the last week or so, just a couple handfuls a day. Should I give them more? They're still on the medicated chick crumbs, plus I give them grubs and whatnot that I dig up in the garden. (Although she hasn't been getting many of those since I've got one fast greedy one.) If it was impacted wouldn't it feel hard?
Grit should be left out free choice so the chicks can get to it when needed. If it’s impacted, then after 8 to 12 hours without food or water it will still be large and squishy. I would withhold food and water overnight and check it first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks - it should be flat and empty. It’s useless to check now bc chicken crops are usually full throughout the day.

I have a 7 week old chick that has a puffy crop. I tried to check it out and it's soft like a water balloon but there's no bad smell coming from her. She seems to be eating and drinking normally, but is a bit slower than the others. It seemed a bit smaller this morning but not totally empty. Is this still sour crop if there's no smell? Should I start trying home remedies anyway?
Thanks!

So I set out more grit. I checked her again this morning and it's still large and squishy. I can't feel anything in there. Still no smell and acting the same as before. Should I try feeding her coconut oil? Added a pic from today, sorry it's a bit blurry.
What does her poop look like?

She's so young to start a crop bra, but it looks like she may need one to correct the issue.
I would begin treat for Sour Crop and if she were mine, I would treat for Coccidiosis as well. IF the crop is not emptying well after a couple of days of treatment, then add a bra to the treatment routine.
You can find Corid at TSC in the cattle section. Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

She can have chick starter to eat, cut out scratch, grubs, etc. Make sure she's drinking well.

Thank you so much for helping!
Her poop is solid enough to be a little pile like normal with a white deposit on top, but it does look yellowish and a bit wet. I'll try to get a pic today.
They were on a medicated chick starter, could it still be Coccidiosis? I was just about to move them on to grower instead of starter. Should I hold off?
For the sour crop should I go straight to the monistat treatment or try something else first?
I'll look at TSC for the Corid. I'm in Canada so all our drugs and stuff are different.
Thank you again!
Since you are in Canada, you may have to ask your vet for Corid (Amprolium).
Yes, chicks can still have an overload while on medicated feed. Not sure what the Coccidiostat is in medicated feed in Canada, it should be on your label.
Personally, if it's time for a new bag of feed, I would use unmedicated starter or a grower/all flock feed - aim for 18-20% protein.

How is she doing? I've got a young sure that seems to have the same symptoms as yours did. TIA!!
Sorry about your chicken!
She's just fine! I left her with water and yogurt for a little longer (another day maybe?) and kept massaging the grit in her her crop every once in a while. Within a week it was cleared up - one morning I couldn't figure out which one had had the problem. I should mention, one afternoon I found a fence staple inside the dog crate with her. I don't know if it was a coincidence, or how she would have gotten it out without any injuries, but it was definitely weird.

I just started giving them grit in the last week or so, just a couple handfuls a day. Should I give them more? They're still on the medicated chick crumbs, plus I give them grubs and whatnot that I dig up in the garden. (Although she hasn't been getting many of those since I've got one fast greedy one.) If it was impacted wouldn't it feel hard?

Back
Top Bottom