Enlarged head

readysar

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
One of our baby chicks that just hatched has a large head and it cant hold it up (The head is almost as big as the body.) We did have to help a lil bit for it to come out. what is the odds if it surviving with this defect.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Do you have a pic, and what breed is it?

84051_dscn8852.jpg

Its a bad pic. It's hard to get a picture of a moving target in a incubator. Also I don't know what breed it is. When we got our turkey eggs they guys just handed us 12 chicken eggs and it happened so fast we didn't think what to ask (which now I think was a really bad idea). They are different type of breeds too the one that hatched and is all is yellow with small flecks of black and this one is all black. The other one that died during hatching was all black like this one so that doesn't bring my hopes up to much on the breeding of this breed.

Maybe it can't hold its head up yet 'cause it's a tired baby? I obviously don't know too terribly much, but watch it, let it dry out, and let us know what happens!! Good luck sweetie!
hugs.gif
Maybe it just needs to get its strength back. Hatching eggs can be one of the most endearing and also one of the most devastating parts of raising poultry! Nobody likes to lose a little one. I haven't incubated babies in about a decade (I have many times in the past) so I'm just a nervous wreck with my eggs in the 'bator right now. Like I said, good luck and let us all know!

I've never hatched my own, but that doesn't look like an abnormally large head...at least not in that picture. And it looks like a lot of the other pictures of newly hatched chicks - just flat out exhausted from the process.
idunno.gif
Good luck and I hope all is okay.

I don't think the head looks that big either... When they are wet they look a little funny. I have had ducks take a little while to sleep before they gt up and start moving around.

I hope that the little fellow gets his strength and pulls through.

ok thanks i just thought it looked bigger than normal. I tried to compare to the other one but it is smaller than this beast. Its my first hatch and every lil thing is driving me batty and asking questions. also my turkeys are due next week I'm going to be a wreck by the end of the month like all new mothers but its satisfying.

Back
Top Bottom