Enlarged hocks on 3 week old poults

Hukkelberry

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2021
I have 27 standard bronze and royal palm poults. They seem to be doing pretty well; active, eating lots of food, growing. However some of them have these big chunky hocks. They dont seem too bothered by it but they just dont seem right to me.

20220520_150016.jpg

This poult in particular has large hocks and bowed legs
I have been adding an electrolyte pack to this water but I have stopped adding it because I read that a calcium and phosphorus imbalance can cause enlarged hocks.

20220306_095956.jpg

Has anyone else experienced this or have an idea has to what is going on?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220520_145921.jpg
    20220520_145921.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 1
I have 27 standard bronze and royal palm poults. They seem to be doing pretty well; active, eating lots of food, growing. However some of them have these big chunky hocks. They dont seem too bothered by it but they just dont seem right to me.

View attachment 3116526
This poult in particular has large hocks and bowed legs
I have been adding an electrolyte pack to this water but I have stopped adding it because I read that a calcium and phosphorus imbalance can cause enlarged hocks.

View attachment 3116542

Has anyone else experienced this or have an idea has to what is going on?

Thanks
What are you feeding them? This can be caused by not using proper feed. If your feed is deficient in the B vitamins, especially Niacin and Thiamine, it can cause perosis.

You do not want to increase their Calcium intake as it can lead to kidney damage in youngsters.

What are you feeding them? This can be caused by not using proper feed. If your feed is deficient in the B vitamins, especially Niacin and Thiamine, it can cause perosis.

You do not want to increase their Calcium intake as it can lead to kidney damage in youngsters.
I'm feeding them an organic turkey starter mix with 28% protein. Shouldn't the vitamin pack I have been using provide extra B vitamin?

I'm feeding them an organic turkey starter mix with 28% protein. Shouldn't the vitamin pack I have been using provide extra B vitamin?
The few organic starters that I actually looked at were deficient in the things that are really important such as lysine, methionine and niacin. Choline is another essential that can also be insufficient.

The analysis on your package only shows what is in the package. You have to calculate it out based on how much it is diluted depending on how much water you are mixing it with. After that you need to know how much each poult is drinking to determine whether or not they are getting enough.

The few organic starters that I actually looked at were deficient in the things that are really important such as lysine, methionine and niacin. Choline is another essential that can also be insufficient.

The analysis on your package only shows what is in the package. You have to calculate it out based on how much it is diluted depending on how much water you are mixing it with. After that you need to know how much each poult is drinking to determine whether or not they are getting enough.
Ok, so you reccomend that I keep using the vitamin pack but how can I get them whatever is missing in their diet?

Ok, so you reccomend that I keep using the vitamin pack but how can I get them whatever is missing in their diet?
One thing that can help is to give vitamin B complex instead of the vitamin pack. Mix it at the rate of 1/2 capsule or tablet to one gallon of water. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

Back
Top Bottom