Enlarged/ swollen crop

Tickle123uk

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 6, 2013
Hi,

I have a chicken who has a swollen crop. I have been keeping her seperate but still outside and have been massaging her everyday for the past 4 days. On the first day I gave her nothing to eat but only water to drink. For the next two days I have given her water with Baking/ bicarbonate soda added and some natural yogurt with olive oil in. Today I gave her natural yogurt with olive oil in for breakfast and some scrambled egg for lunch and was going to give her some natural yogurt again before bed.

The swelling has gone down a little and whereas before it was very squishy and hot, it now feels like it has a large hard lump and is less hot.

Should I keep doing what I'm doing or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Is it okay to keep her where she is or should I bring her into the house?

I would appreciate any advice as I am worried about her.

Thanks.

P.S I have no idea how old she is but she is still laying and until I seperated her she was eating, drinking and laying as normal.

I'm sorry no one answered your post earlier, but I'm not sure why your hen's crop has gone from squishy to hard when not taking in much food. Sour crop is sometimes a symptom of something else going on in the body, and may accompany other diseases such as coccidiosis and others. Many times it is caused by a fungal overgrowth, and many people think that nystatin is most helpful in controlling it. It requires a prescription from a vet. Medistatin is available online without a prescription and is the same. Some have had good luck with monistat suppositories cut into thirds given by mouth. Crop problems are difficult to treat because of the underlying causes. Here is a link to a good site: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

Back
Top Bottom