Enough Incubators?

Not sure if there is a big difference between duck and chicken for how long you can wait to hatch but I thought what the heck and added eggs that were 20 days after being laid
I got 100 % hatch rate on my babies
When I first did hatching I had 2 incubators
One I put an egg in daily and the other so I could move them over for lockdown
If you put eggs in every 3-4 days it would give time to move one group over have them hatch and move the next group over ect
Although it’s not recommended to go past 10-14 days after as fertility goes down that’s not always the case

I wouldn’t be brave enough for that. 20 days? 7 days even makes me a little uncomfortable.

I wouldn’t be brave enough for that. 20 days? 7 days even makes me a little uncomfortable.
I had confidence cause I have got such high hatch rates
I let 2 schools do my eggs and follow my lead and get 100 hatch on my eggs and I have sold duck eggs and 3 of the 4 buyers also got 100 % hatch rate
Everyone was a first time to incubate duck eggs
My mom and dad have strong eggs so I thought I’ll try and I even had a oops with my bator that round
I used warm water to to up the humidity and went to bed
Woke up 5 hours later and my bator was at 110 degrees. I thought I would loose them all they were day 10 at the time
Everyone of my eggs hatched
The only egg that I lost was not one of my ducks eggs it was one of my friends Swedish eggs but her other 4 still hatched
11 out of 12 after a major heating
The babies had no issues at birth and all are still doing great as I get updates from the buyers
I did learn though don’t use warm water to up humidity in a little giant incubator

I store my hatching eggs for up to two weeks. I’ve tried stretching it to 2 1/2 weeks but I’ve noticed that the viability goes down significantly after about two weeks.
Because I live in Hawaii I cannot leave them out on the counter, so they are stored in a drinks refrigerator set to the highest setting (around 48°F). Ideally they should be stored between 55 and 65°. Anything I think above 70 and they may start to develop.
Good luck.😊

Are you taking into account that this will be one hen? How long do eggs stay fertile? Yes. Ideally hatching 21 at a time would be best.
What I meant was... you will have eggs at different stages in the 1 bigger incubator and then shifting the lockdown ones out to the hatcher each week

You would have to mark the eggs so you knew which eggs to move each week

When a hen lays in the wild she would lay until she has enough and then she would brood
normally a hen would sit on 8 to ten eggs.... it could take her 12-15 days to lay that many.

I have hatched eggs that are more than 21 days old... not ideal I know... but they do hatch

When a hen lays in the wild she would lay until she has enough and then she would brood
normally a hen would sit on 8 to ten eggs.... it could take her 12-15 days to lay that many.

I have hatched eggs that are more than 21 days old... not ideal I know... but they do hatch

I’ll shoot for 35 next year from one hen and I’ll assume 26 will hatch/live using only my seven egg incubator. We will see what happens. Hopefully nobody will shoot me when I resurrect this thread next year.

Back
Top Bottom