Enough room?

Buxton Ducks

Songster
10 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Buxton, Maine
I know this is an over discussed topic but I am still very confused. I have a converted storage shed (8x8x8) with an attached run (21x10x6 high). The run has a wire predator proof top but no roof. I have 20 chicks right now, 2 roos and 18 pullets. There are two large staggered perches that run the 8' length of the coop. I haven't built nest boxes yet... Is their space enough to accommodate them? When I get home after work in the spring/summer/fall I will let them free range in the fenced acre.

Not sure if you have seen it, really nice article in the Learning Center on space https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need Looking at your 64 square feet to start with and having to add nesting boxes and feeders/waterers etc I would be afraid it is short on space for 20 birds... you can get away with less if they can use the run most of the time, and you can do things with the coop to help like add more perches to take advantage of the height, but with your winters and how bad and long they are I think you might be in trouble if they are locked in the coop.....

Thank you so much, this was extremely helpful. My winters are very long and harsh so I know they will not use the run during that time. I will rehome some birds to make it fair. I want happy and healthy birds!

Back
Top Bottom