Enteritis in ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Buck Oakes, Oct 3, 2014.

1. okay guys i have a big question one of my ducks have enteritis and she had four babies this year but didn't get sick till a month later, do the babies still have it and could they spread it to others?. and she didn't sit on the eggs, a brooder did and hatched 2 of them and i hatched the other two, is the brooder ok? also i heard that the enteritis can be a bacteria thing so what should i do?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. Yep she's still alive she doesn't show symptoms anymore, but she's anemic now so i try to let her out in a big dog crate with out a bottom so she can get some sun and vitamin d , but is he still a carrier even if she got treated?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think they can become carriers - can you ask the vet?

5. i am, I'm getting to ask next weekend when some other of my birds are competing

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good. There may be a test to be sure. Did they culture to determine the enteritis, or base it on symptoms? I keep trying to learn more about health issues.

7. no the guy that came to check on my ducks took one look at her and said, enteritis and i was like [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I was reading up on anemia in ducks, and sometimes it can be caused by capillary worms, or by zinc poisoning ( http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue30.htm )

You may want to look into that.

So you did not get medicine for her, then, she just got herself through it? That must have been tough...

9. No I got medicine for her :) that's how she got better, and i used liquid penicillin to help break down the bacteria that was aiding the virus, which in turn no bacteria no virus, but I still need to get some sulmet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: