Entertaining chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by merryreader, May 5, 2007.

1. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

Are there any toys or activities I can put in their pen to occupy them? I throw in sod and bugs, but they seem bored, when they arn't running the fence to get out.I've got sand and a hook for vegetables. Merry

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    If you use straw for bedding and sprinkle scratch or bird seed over it they will be occupied for a while scratching around.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

For my chick right now I toss in a small strip of fabric or 2 and watch them play keep away and tug-o-war. It keeps them amused for a good while.

For the ones out in the pen, I toss in carrot peelings. They play the same games as the little ones jumps a bit more rambunchous.

I have learned that it's not a good idea to take out a treat everytime you go and see them as then they expect it and get all worked up. A surprise treat now and then seems to keep them happy.

Coyote

4. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

I threw in some leaves and dried stuff in 3 different piles along with 3 flakes of hay and I put some pine tree limbs around the base of a pole. They used to like getting in that when they were free. I think that as I weed all the gardens(flower and vegetable) I will throw in all the sod and weeds. Everything is organic material(no chemicals used). I can always replace soil from the garden center. They have settled down a little more today.[​IMG] Merry

5. Lipkis

Lipkis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    I've read that somewhere it's very good to hang vegetables around their home. I heard that they jump up and try to get at it. They get exercise and ntertainment.

6. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    My parakeets got sad when my chicks went outside so I put them in the coop (in their cage) and the chicks sit and talk to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by