Entire flock lost

Dinorose90

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2022
So I’ve only had chickens just over a year now and it been a journey throughout. We started with 8 from tsc of which we found half were meat birds so that took its course and we did lose chick early on to which I picked up four more. So 3 we’re eaten (the other died at two weeks) and we were left with 8 and one turned out to be a roo and that was fine bc he was my sweet runt. One week an isa went missing then the week later a barred rock. They had wondered far from home early on getting used to the coop but I never saw any evidence of it being a predator that took them. I live out in the “sticks” but figured they and the rooster hadn’t figured everything out yet. Several months later my sweet rooster went missing but was proud that he went doing his job saving his ladies. We ended up picking up another rooster bc out here I wanted one to protect the flock but we got one that turned out to be a huge aggressor and it wasn’t safe for me or the kids to be out with him roaming (we free range btw obviously) so he was culled two weeks ago and boom yesterday my entire flock was taken by a predator. We have several piles of evidence on separate parts of the property and haven’t seen or heard a bird since (which I hoped for!) they are all gone now and I have no chickens. Do I start over? Am I a bad owner bc I let them free range without watching? Idk what to think but it saddens me not to have them. Thanks for listening. Any advice accepted. I know it along but it’s my first time so I guess I introduced myself as well. Hi my name is Emma and I love having chickens!

I lost three hens to a fox he injured four. it’s not your fault and you aren’t a bad chicken keeper we have all lost birds to a predator. Before getting more I would build a run for them. Mine stay in a run while I’m out but they can free range when I am home. :hugs I’m so sorry for your loss it’s absolutely devastating.

I've lost 19 to a fisher getting in and then more recently 12 or so to a dog. It doesn't mean your a bad owner. You can't protect them from everything. Maybe install a fenced in run for your next flock. We did and we haven't had problems yet. (Except for the total disregard of the fence)

I’ve lost chickens to predators both while free ranging and locked up. There are no guarantees. We all do what we think is best for our birds. Ours get let out in the morning and locked up at night - we go about our business for the day. No time to just sit and watch the chickens all day.

You’re the only one who can decide if you’re ready to get more or not and if you want to continue free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom