Entomology

Entomology

• Total voters
Epoxy resin. It's two liquids you pour together. When mixed, a chemical reaction takes place, and it becomes like glass. Simply put, you pour a layer of resin down in a mould, set the insects on top of the first layer, let it harden some, pour a second layer to hold wings/antennae/legs, then let that harden some, then pour the lay layer to seal it. End result is the insect encased in a glass like rectangular prism/ whatever shaped mould you put it into.
Sounds cool! I will look in to that!

Ready to learn?!? @Kiki,@StinkyAcres, @BigBlueHen53, @BenlynFarm, @OneHappyDuckie, @hirundinidae, @All4Eggz, @Idaho Chicken Bungalow, @Chikyboy, and @Sussex19 Here we go!
1. Pop your insect in the freezer for a few minutes, make sure it's died before you start pinning! If you found it died then look at the video I posted above.
2. Lay your butterfly, moth or skipper's body on your furrow on the mounting block(Styrofoam covered in parchment or wax paper).
3. Then stick a pin right in the middle of the thorax like so...View attachment 3220542View attachment 3220751View attachment 3220752
4. Then with forceps or a pencil also works fine too. Move the wings so they are symmetrical with each other, it's easiest to move the wing on the topst most part of the butterflies wing there is a hard line that is easy to move without damaging the wing here is a couple pictures to help:View attachment 3220739
(Where the easy to move part is) View attachment 3220742
(with the forceps)
View attachment 3220746
(with a pencil)
5. Next with your little pieces of parchment paper put it on the symmetrical wings to hold it down with pins:View attachment 3220747

Now you wait about a week for it to dry in that position then your done! And you can proudly put entomologist in your tags!

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it! stay tuned for more future posts!

P.s: My butterfly I found surprisingly in a great position most are going to be a bit harder. But my first butterflies weren't great at all! So if you like it and want to get good at it keep on trying!
AmeraucanaHank
Thanks for taking the time to show us @AmeraucanaHank ! I'm looking forward to doing this myself. Are those special pins? Are sewing pins too large?

Ya, I think it was a female male are usually brown FYI. Did you see her babies hatch?
Me too! I found a GIANT white one in my backyard on my peas about a year ago!
Wow! Me too! I found this one last year. Biggest one I've ever seen! Is it a male Chinese Mantis?
large.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom