Environmentally Unfriendly Pets

My wife and I have agreed that the only reason we would get a pet is purely about utility. A dog or cat would have to be an environmentally friendly pet i.e. herding, guarding, or mousing. It would have to serve more purpose than it would cost including the environmental cost. I know of a pheasant farm that has a Border Collie for herding their pheasants. I thought it was a novel concept when I saw it the first time but actually worked pretty well. When you are trying to catch thousands of pheasants each day all fall one dog is very useful and environmentally way more effective than having 10 humans.

My Brother has been in China for two years and married a chinese gal. He says that there are never any large dogs around. People can buy them as puppies and raise them up a lil then eat them. The only pet dogs in the cities are very tiny miniature dogs. They have restaurants there that I joke should be called a "Dog House" because they specialize in canine meats kind of like our steak houses here in the states. I am going to china in January and we might stop in. Just for the novelty of it.

Incinerating a dog is aweful for the environment but done at every humane society that puts dogs down. I think organization should try to calculate their carbon foot print.

Yea, we were having a talk about pet overpopulation an it came up so I looked it up. I thought it was illegal everywhere in the US but no, I think most states you can.

Control of Ga Forestry changed hands a few years ago an it went from a service based government agency to a policing agency. Now burning old barn wood or burning old papers in a burn barrel can cost you $25,000.

They have restaurants there that I joke should be called a "Dog House" because they specialize in canine meats kind of like our steak houses here in the states. I am going to china in January and we might stop in. Just for the novelty of it.

Please dont bring back pictures...
th.gif

wink.png

Quote:
I would love to see that menu.

I wonder what taste diff. would be in different breeds etc.

I would try a bite of dog. I got the adventure streak in me definitely!

Enjoy that trip!!!!!!!!!!!! and eat good!

Quote:
that is so cool, I am actually going to check out NC and see. I never thought it was allowed. So I might be farming dogs????LOL
new markets for my farm....find some vietnamese restaurants and see if they need stock?

Is dog sold anywhere in restaurants here? I never seen it but then I am limited also..HAHA...in what I check out in the US.

I wonder what astronomical number the carbon foot print for your average humanbeing is? Especially one that owns a lot of dogs and a big suv, lol. Pretty soon carbohydrates maybe banned because that makes the body produce more carbon. Come son, eat your meaties for breakfast. I guess I'm not as green as I thought, my poor dogs. I have one granola picketing my fence already.
sad.png

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I guess I'll worry about my pets AFTER 1) all communities are allowed to keep a few chickens and 2) windmills and solar panels are allowed in all communties (which can take up a LOT of space and many consider eyesores) and people have cut their consumption of electicity enough to actually live off of green sources (there goes the AC)....
Until then I think pet owners are safe...

I hear ya'll but if someone doesn't make the first step cause another won't.....what good is any of it?

the old "until they do it" ...just doesn't work in the long run.

so many have this attitude....but of course giving up pets is radical...LOL..so taking other green steps to help would be a good thing.

Alot of people put up the AC to cool the house for their pets..
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
Just saw a report on this story on the news. They has an expert from the ASPCA. She said a majority of the claims in the original article were "just silly" and "a little insulting".

Back
Top Bottom