Epic FAIL treats......

when i first gave mine cracked corn they looked at me like it was an insult, but they learned to LOVE it. then i switched to BOSS so they could try that. same reaction, but not they go crazy for it. there was cracked corn at the bottom of the can with the BOSS in it and they wouldnt eat it! i guess only one thing at a time.

mine used to love bananas. for some reason they dont like them anymore.
hmm.png

Quote:
Exactly what happens here. Three times today I had to take the honeydew melon RIND from my elderly dachshund and toss it back into the run. 4th time, he snuck it onto the sofa - that time it went into the trash.

And melon is ONE of the things the chickens love!

Quote:
HA!!! That's our Lilly as well! I was snipping them up for soup and one went flying and she snapped it up. I assumed she did it just because it was food and Janie was near... get it while you can.... fully expected to look back and see the thing on the floor. Nope, she sat there and nibbled and noshed until it was gone and then gave me The Face for another! So now I let her have a piece when I chop carrots. She's the only one who likes them so it's a special treat.

First few times they wouldn't go near a BOSS, but now they're old hands. Weirdest thing. We don't do the container thing really at all, just toss things in (away from the door) when we do our checks.... ours LOVE strawberries... green bits and red. They'll chase each other for that one piece and leave the rest just sitting there.

OK, my turn. I bought some Key Limes. Never had them before, thought for sure I'd use them in my lemonade or water. Nope. Before the teeny fruits went bad, I tossed them to the birds.

"You want us to what?" was the response.

I went around the run, smashing key limes with my shoe. Zero interest in the squishy fruit.

The bad news is: I'm still paying for this. The June babies (all female assortment of brown egg layers from MPC, hatched week of June 14) are almost laying age. I should start finding pullet eggs in weird spots ANY DAY. So far it's been "Ooo, is that an egg? Nope. Another darn key lime..." I guess it's time to quit belly aching and go on a key lime hunt and throw them all in the compost pile.

Earlier today I was telling my mother about this thread and about my impending key lime submission. She proceeds to list every citirus and says "Our chickens refuse to eat any of them." Mom has a lemon tree in her yard, so she should be sure about that.
roll.png

I'm scared.My gals loved worms,now won't touch them.same with mixed greens,rice,spegetti,grain bread,all the things they loved just last week.They will eat corn on the cob,mackrel from the can.and their grain.They ate so little yesterday,that there was only 3 poops in the coop this am.I'm at a lose.They do freerange about 3 hrs. a day.its getting cold, not many bugs left.I hate them going to roost with an empty crop.

Quote:
My chickens wouldn't eat it either at first - I had to put it in the food processor a couple of times. I even tried taking the seeds out by hand at first. They finally got it! Now they love it!

I tried the food processor too! They still looked at me in disgust. I'll keep trying till my bag is gone.
smile.png

It took a while before my girls began to appreciate BOSS. They used to turn up their beaks at it.
What I did was keep it in a translucent container (they can see what's in it) near their coop. I hang their galvanized metal 3 gallon feeder from the side of the coop in the morning when I let them out, but there's not enough room around it for all 12 hens to eat at the same time. They're so hungry they squabble and push and shove each other away from the feeding trough.

So I grab the BOSS container and shake out a 2 foot line of seeds and that makes everyone happy.

Back
Top Bottom