Eprinex-Pour on...do you throw out the eggs?

SassyKat6181

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Western Mass
I did a few searches on here and keep getting conflicting info on whether or not to throw away the eggs when using the pour-on. I have a very good egg business (plus we eat 2 dozen a week) and hate to have to throw away eggs for a month. (2 rounds of wormer) If I use the pour-on, does it not enter their system as would a feed-thru? Thanks!

I didn't keep them aside without eating when I used Eprinex Pour On, mainly because in cattle, there is no withdrawal period for milk or meat, so I figure it would carry over for eggs. However, I probably wouldn't sell them for a couple weeks, mainly because I have a neighbor/customer who has a heart condition and she cannot have eggs from birds who have been given antibiotics in particular, so I would never want to take any risk with her health. I don't know that it would have any affect, but wouldn't risk it.

I could probably put up a sign telling people that the birds are going through yearly maintenence and warn them of the antibiotic issue and let them make the decision. Hmmmm.....more thinking. I have a sick hen, who has been battling bumblefoot and molting. I gave her the 5 days of penicillin without any change in her. My next guess is worms? She's 15 months old and I've never wormed them. I have wazine and Valbazen coming in this week. Maybe I will worm just her, since she's not laying and see if anything comes out (quarantined of course) Then I will know if I really need to worm the whole flock.

Quote:
Have you removed the core of the bumblefoot? I understand even with small birds this must be done to get rid of it. Personally I'd worm them all.

As for Eprinex, since there is zero slaughter withdrawal and zero milk discard than I fail to see why one would discard the eggs. But letting customers know about it would only be the right thing to do, even if they're uninformed about it, everyone has the right to refuse extra chemicals in their body. But I eat them all.

Even Ivermectin is used on humans (in Africa - they have some nasty worms there) and probably has no ill effects with the small amount that might end up in an egg. I confess though I do wait a week before eating them myself if I use that. Two weeks before I'll sell any of them.

Last edited:
I did try the surgery, but didn't find a "plug". The swelling went down 90%, but I noticed today that it is starting to swell again. I will need to go through the top of her foot, as the hard area is right between her toes. The padded area underneath was all healthy tissue. She is so weak that I am afraid to open her foot up again.

Back
Top Bottom