Equal play time for all chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CoffeeCow, Jun 1, 2010.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    So, I am trying to play with all 9 of my chicks equally, but... I have one EE (named Spazz) that every time I stick my hand in the brooder.. well, she fly/jumps/scrambles up to me and jumps on my hand (knocking over several of the others in the process), and will not get off. Don't get me wrong, I love this, but.. I feel bad for the others. I don't feel like I am giving them enough attention... Is this bad?

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I don't know if its bad-I just use both hands!

3. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Since I am not guaranteed that my chicks will be that tame no matter how often I play with them, because I think some of it really does have to do with individual personality, I would be super excited if one of mine was that eager to be with me.

I tend to hold mine while watching TV in the evening, on commercials I switch out for a diff. chick.

4. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    The closest I get to my hens is when I share the backyard with them while they have their playtime. I don't want to get so close 'cause when mine quit making eggs, they'll have to make soup.

5. adeechickluv

adeechickluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Ha! Not a problem at all! As others said around here, i would be thrilled that my chook wanted to be with me that much. [​IMG] Some DO say, though, that holding and handling your chickens helps them to be more comfortable around you when they're older. So take turns! [​IMG]

6. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Wow- I wouldn't consider it a problem at all...someone wants to give some eggstra love ;O

7. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My babies are 5 days old. I have a slikie that will run over and walk into my hand. If she wants extra attention, I will give it to her, but I do try to pick up the rest too.

8. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    This is the one that flys up to my hand/arm Her name is Spazz. I have to give her to my wife so I can give the others any attention now hehe
    Spazz is definitely my favorite [​IMG]
    (this pic is a few days old, I'll try to get another one later)

[​IMG]

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My "babies" are two YEARS old. [​IMG] One chick would fly way up to the edge of the brooder so that I would hold her. Most of the others would squeal and try to get away from me. Not Edina. She has always sought out my attention. She knows her name & will fly up onto my arm if I give her the hand signal that tells her it's okay to do so. Is this fair? It just is what it is. Frankly, some birds care for humans, some - not so much.

10. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    I have an Astralorp that has done this from day one as well - - [​IMG]

- she is 16 weeks now and flies across the run at me just to sit in my lap and cluck happily!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by