Equal Rights in Malawi, Africa... Sad Story....

I feel for them as well, but they knew the laws of their country. How is it ok for them to break the laws? Their country specifically forbids it. I simply cannot see how it is alright for any law to be broken. I understand that they love each other, but laws need to be followed. My comment was not made to say one way is right or wrong, simply that if they wish to follow that route, they need to consider the laws in that area.

In this instance, it is sad, but you've got to consider that they did participate in illegal activities according to their country. There are several acts that occur behind closed doors that are also considered illegal in the U.S. those participants would probably be taken to jail as well.

not to many years ago it was against the law to marry someone that was not the same color/nationality then yourself. until someone fought it and won but they spent time in jail before they won the case it is sad no matter where they were living 14 years for loving someone that is just wrong. I hope someone can help them

Quote:
In poor countries like this, it is unlikely that they have the option to move to a country that accepts it. Even if they could, they may not qualify to immigrate to one of those countries, especially if they are not college educated or have a valuable trade skill.

Besides, I am a stright woman and no way could I stay away from men just because I lived in a country that didn't accept it. I feel for thier plight.

This.

Do you have any idea what the suicide rate is for gay teens? It is not a choice, who in the world would choose to be socially ostracized for nothing more than who they love. Give me a break.

If you have a close relative or friend who is gay, I suggest a frank discussion on this issue to learn compassion for what their plight is (even in our country). I watched my kind, brilliant wonderful brother go through H*** in high school because he was born gay, he made it out alive and adjusted. Not everyone he knows was so lucky. Life is never so simple as "if you don't like it, leave".

The risk of jail would never ever deter me from being with my husband. Their relationship is no different or their love for each other any less.

Quote:
I can't believe there are still people who think like this.

I did not choose to be born gay. I did not want to get kicked out of my house and have all my supportive ties to my family cut off (they relented after several months thank god).

Quote:

I did not choose to be born gay. I did not want to get kicked out of my house and have all my supportive ties to my family cut off (they relented after several months thank god).

Oh Kanchii, I am so sorry that this happened to you.

Have you looked into a support group for gay teens? In your area I am sure there are many. Unfortunately, you aren't alone in your experience. I promise, it does get better.

Quote:

Kanchii, please read my follow-up reply on this mentality.

Quote:
Interesting you should state this. My ex-boyfriend confided to me, 2 years into our relationship that he was gay. His basis was that he was raped as a child and has therefore concluded he is gay. I have another friend who has yet to DECIDE which sex she prefers. To me, it is a decision. To others it is a genetic predisposition. Whether it is a decision or a genetic predisposition, I do not care and I do not make "slams" against either preference. I have learned to adapt to new ways of thinking and new ways of tolerance for several different aspects of society.

I do not feel as though I should be rebuked for playing the "devil's advocate" on this matter by trying to see the government's reasoning for putting these men in jail.

I understand what ROPO is saying.. a law is a law..
BUT... you also have to think about what a stupid law it is....
As i said earlier..its not like they are harming anyone.... so WHY should it be the govt.'s business?...

I completely agree. It IS a stupid law, but regardless of what it is (spitting on the sidewalk in OK, tethering your horse next to the courthouse in OKC...sodomizing), it's a law.

If these men had tried to go to the government and protest instead of "sneaking" around, perhaps they would have been spared jail time.

As I understand it, murder and rape are rampant things in Africa. Maybe the government is trying to make a stand and say that they are going to be taking things seriously? Maybe it's a first step in a LONG list of things they are trying to crack down on? One of which needs to be changed, but hiding and having a relationship that is withheld from the government is simply not the way to do it. Protest for the rights, sign petitions. Things need to change, but breaking laws is not the way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom