Equilibrium isses with a pullet...

mikarod

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Oklahoma
We have a 6 month old Australorp pullet (6 months at the MOST). Yesterday I went into the pen and nothing was out of the ordinary. Everybody walking around and happy!

Today I go up and this pullet is walking kind of strange. She will walk straight and then kind of veer off to the left. She'll go so far left that she'll eventually use the fencing as a "crutch." I would have thought Marek's but it just doesn't fit the classic symptoms of it. Then again..each case with Marek's isn't "classic."

Anyway, this hen is FAR from laying as she still has the black face, black comb and not wattle development. I've put her into a cage by herself so she won't hurt herself or not be able to get to shelter in case of rain.

Any ideas on what might be happening?? We switched feed about 3 weeks ago but this is the first sign we've had that one of the birds is sick...

She does feel lighter than what I expected her to be...but then again...(I honestly can't tell if she's an australorp or a black orpington...) Australorps and Orpingtons aren't as large as I'm used to.

OK...so she's had PLENTY of access to food and water now because she is a cage by herself. Her balance STILL hasn't been righted. Any other ideas?

No...no gurgling or discharge. But I wondered if it might not be an ear infection. I mean...they have no outer ears to cover the hole other than the ear covert feathers. I just can't see any explanation for it.

If she is unable to drink sufficiently she will need electrolyltes in her waterer for a few days...if she has no respiratory ill in the past and no sign of mites or inflammation of the ear then it is probably not an inner ear infection (tho you cannot always rule this out based on superficial signs)...
Is there a (stagnant ) water source that she could get to while free ranging or rotting vegetation (such as a compost heap?
Has she had access to any salty foods (human treats)
Look around the area and see if there are any forgotten grains of feed anywhere or wet moldy spot.
I would give her a good general supplement like AviaCharge 2000 to cover any deficiencies of micronutrients or nutritional imbalance (it is the most complete balanced poultry supplement I know of and can be ordered online from McMurray or Strombergs) and in addition to that you can give three drops of polyvisol enfamil in beak once a day for a week ... these general support measures may take care of the problem but not overnite. Keep monitoring her.
When was the last time you wormed her?

Back
Top Bottom