Equine Pine Pellets as bedding - will my girls eat them???

reedyfork

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 1, 2009
North Carolina
I just discovered these (Equine) Pine Pellets at TSC the other day. Bought a couple of 40# bags ($5.99 ea.), but now I'm wondering whether my girls will try to eat them. Anyone had a problem with older chickens eating these pellets? Mine are only 3 months old and still eating crumbles, but thought I'd ask before mixing the pellets into their shavings...

They claim to be all-natural, pine only, low-dust, etc., etc. Anyone have any experience using these pellets? I'm really looking for some form of bedding that doesn't produce as much dust as the pine shavings I've been using.

Thanks!

Ron

I have used them with great results. For a long time we had a breeder on this forum (Gary Geareduplyn) that had been breeding and brooding chicks for years and years and he swore by the pellets. I am sure you can use the search function and find some of that discussion from back then

I don't have them in my coop, but I know lots of people do with no problems. I'm going to use them in the brooder next time and already use them for the cat box. Great product.

I use them. The chickens show no interest in eating them. It absorbs water nicely and is much easier to scoop out than straw.

I've done some more research today, and I can't find where anyone has had negative experiences using these pellets - most info/opinions are very positive. No one seems to have problems or concerns with their chickens eating the pellets, and most love them for their absorbancy, dust-free material, ease of composting, etc.

I guess I'll slowly add them to the existing henhouse bedding of pine shavings (my small, urban henhouse for three girls is only 8sf) and see what happens...

Ron

They're kind of spendy here but I use them for my ducks
big_smile.png
My duck bedding is never wet, and they take a while to expand. For the chickens right now have a layer of the pellets and then I put shavings on top, but I may switch to just pellets when my chickens move to their chicken palace.

I read about these on here, and I wanted to try them. I already have a big bale of shavings to use for the chicks (when they get here...next week) but wanted to look into these. 5.99 for 40# seems really cheap. Online I saw 5.99 for only 20#....I wonder if they last longer than shavings?

I read about these on here, and I wanted to try them. I already have a big bale of shavings to use for the chicks (when they get here...next week) but wanted to look into these. 5.99 for 40# seems really cheap. Online I saw 5.99 for only 20#....I wonder if they last longer than shavings?
If you have a Rural King they are 4.99 for 40 pounds

Back
Top Bottom