Equine Pine

If you mean the white pine shavings for horses/rabbits/chicken coops, that is what most people around here use.

I'm giving that a try. I posted a ??? about this recently. I had one response that said to wet and expand it first but the rest said to leave it as pellets. So I'm going to do the latter and see how it goes.

As I understand it, the pellets help keep odor down longer than the shavings. (Fingers crossed on this anyway.) Chicks come this week, so I can fill you in on any lessons learned if you still want more info!

-chris

I loved the stuff when I had ducklings. Shavings didn't last more than one day and that was pushing it. A thick layer of the pellets expanded and stirred often, lasted two to three days. This was in a 4 x 4 coop with only three ducklings in the coop mostly just at night. I would use it again if I have ducklings.

I tried it in my big coops with the chickens and they didn't like it. They wouldn't scratch in it, so it didn't get mixed enough. Picky girls. It worked well if mixed often, but the shavings work better for mine.

We have used the pellets exclusively for the coop for the last year. They do help control odor, and they break apart very easily with just a little moisture. I occasionally throw black oil sunflower seeds on top, and the girls scratch through it for me.

Dora'smom :

I occasionally throw black oil sunflower seeds on top, and the girls scratch through it for me.

Great idea!

I'm going to give it a try...my babies are a week old and are trying out their little wings...which is just as cute as can be!
smile.png
I want to give them a little bigger space until I can move them outside.​

I used the pellets in my brooders, and I discovered that when the pellets broke down, the chicks would have a ball taking dust baths in the remnants.

Back
Top Bottom