Eradication of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum through egg dipping technique

Elaine Elder

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 18, 2013
Kingston, Georgia
Egg dipping to control vertical transmission of Microplasma Gallisepticum.

Process includes washing eggs thoroughly in antiseptic and antibacterial wash. Heat eggs to 100 degrees for 3 hours to cause expansion of egg contents. Mix 500 grams of tylan in 2 liters of water. Refrigerate water while eggs are in heating phase add 1 liter of ice. Transfer eggs from heat to tylan ice water mixture. Let stand for 30 minutes. The ice water / tylan mixture causes contraction of the egg contents pulling the tylan into the egg through the porous egg shell. In theory, the tylan kills the MG. My theory is that MG positive embryo are weak and the stress of the hot to ice cold kills all the weak embryos. Odd by product. Increased female to male ratio from 50/50 to 75/25 in favor of females.

I have isolated 18 chicks hatched January 28 and 23 chicks hatched February 21.
The eggs were dipped in hot water with antiseptic and antibacterial added and washed in that hot solution as soon as water was cool enough to put hands in. As washed, i transferred to cold water tylan solution. This is an abbreviated version of the proccess i now recommend.

I have isolated 8 chicks that the eggs were not treated at all. Just put into incubator.

I have another couple of dozen that hatched yesterday treated with the abbreviated egg dip method. Another two dozen due to hatch this coming week.

I have almost 50 eggs going into incubator today. I am disinfecting the large capacity incubator and using the tabletop incubators for the 3 hour egg expansion phase of the dipping process. And a second tabletop incubator for hatching. So i can more easily disinfect them. UV light kills Mycoplasma Gallisepticum instantly. I plan to use disinfectant then place in tanning bed for 20 minutes Between uses.

The purpose of this experiment is to assess the effectiveness of the dipping process in control of vertical transmission of Microplasma Gallisepticum.
If i can prove this works. I can keep my breeding stock isolated and use this method for continuing my breeding programs. 15 years of breeding programs that I've gotten to the almost perfected stage of New Breeds.

Also of note: I have never had a sick silkie.
Are they immune or just never show symptoms?

i am very interested in the outcome of your experiment. We are currently dipping eggs in Tylan and incubating. We are planning to cull the breeding stock that has tested positive as carriers ASAP. No symptoms on the carriers yet, these birds are new to my farm and still in quarantine I just do not want to lose the line.

At what age are you planning to test the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom