Esa chickens

Daymi

Hatching
Sep 28, 2019
Hello,
I have 4 chickens that I'm looking to make a. Emotional support animal. I'm not interested in taking them out or traveling with them. I just want to be able to keep them in my backyard without any problems. My question is would I need to get 4 different letters? Or will do you think one would be enough? Thanks.

If the laws in your area or HOA prohibit chickens, choose an animal that is allowed rather than trying to circumnavigate the laws.

This. You are making people who need emotional support animals look bad. By extension, you hurt those who have genuine service animals. Either move someplace where you are allowed to have chickens, or work to change your ordinances.

I have to agree. As a psychologist, I’ve been asked to write these letters, and even offered a job writing letters for people who pay a fee and fill out a questionnaire! It is unfair to people who do benefit from emotional support animals, because the whole thing has gotten out of hand, and some of this is downright fraudulent.

What mental disorder are you diagnosed with? Why do you need four animals?

It doesn’t pass the smell test.

Have you looked into the ordinances where you live? Maybe they are already allowed. I hope so, because chickens can be fun and therapeutic, although chicken keeping can also be very stressful too. If they are not allowed, look into changing the rules, there are a few threads on here from folks that have done so. If you can't do that, look into what you can have. If you genuinely feel you need an emotional support animal, you will need to see a therapist to get such a letter. I doubt that you can get 4 however, and you really don't want to keep just one chicken. It is not fair to the chicken.

Wow some of these comments shock me.

Hens are extremely therapeutic.

I have a 9 year old that has a small flock used as ESA. For her dogs are pushing,hairy,lick themselves,bit,and park not a good fit for her.

Cats are hairy,bit,want to be held when they want to be held, again not a good fit.

But give her a hen and she is a different person. She loves the little noises they make it soothes and comforts her. There feathers are just perfect for petting. No hair to cling to the clothes or body. Feathers also feel smooth which is a comforting texture for her. Then let's talk about smell. When cared for properly they smell of clean fresh pine chips and that hint of chicken smell which is much less offensive then dog to her.

So in conclusion hens don't shed,make loud noises,lick themselves,jump on you,can be held whenever needed, require focus and close attention,breaks the ice for interaction with others without being threatening, and they provide eggs making her feel as if she contributes to providing for the family.

Thanks for reading hope it helps others that sometimes view what we think as typical esa animals just don't work and the not so typical can be a lifesaver.

It's not that some can't find great comfort in having chickens but that it's getting over common for people that aren't allowed to have chickens in their location to want to run out and cry ESA so they can get around laws or restrictions forbidding them from owning them.
It's the I want what I want and don't care what anyone else thinks attitude that offends people.

That's fine but I'm so over this crap with some communities not allowing.

Yet your neighbors can have junk cars, multiple dogs, never ending supply of cats, loud stinking diesel trucks, load obnoxious motorcycles, the list can go on.

I just say what you have to. Lol

It's not that some can't find great comfort in having chickens but that it's getting over common for people that aren't allowed to have chickens in their location to want to run out and cry ESA so they can get around laws or restrictions forbidding them from owning them.
It's the I want what I want and don't care what anyone else thinks attitude that offends people.

Back
Top Bottom