Escape Artist Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Danniro, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Danniro

Danniro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014
    We have an escape artist of a chicken. In the past after her molt she would discover her wings were no longer clip and resume her daily flight over our 7 foot or so fence to roam the feral-cat filled neighborhood[​IMG]
    She recently finished molting and once again discovered she could fly over the fence again. No problem, we'll just clip a wing. Then, a couple days later, she's out again. There don't appear to be any holes she could crawl under, nor things she could leap on to reach the fence. She got out before I had to go to school and I've just received word she's missing again.
    What can I do to stop this?

2. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Are you sure the wing is properly clipped? I have one like that. I've given up on clipping. If she insists on roaming I'd like her to be able to fly to safety. Have the cats really posed a problem?

3. Danniro

Jun 3, 2014
    I'm pretty sure... got all the long flight feathers, might have missed a couple of the shorter ones but are those that important?
    I mean, I don't think she's ever been attacked. And admittedly I see cats watching the chickens in the backyard all the time and they've never done anything. But I also worry about her getting hit, as our last escape artist chicken was run over by our neighbor backing out of their driveway.

4. Attila the Hen

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I'm no expert on clipping wings. I had to look it up online to do it last time. I try to avoid it whenever possible. My problem has been a neighbor who is rarely there but has noticed his leaves moved................

I have a number of cats and they are afraid of the chickens. I would worry more about the cars although it's a surprise it didn't get out of the way.

So, personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless the neighbors complain or traffic is an ongoing problem. Just my opinion.

5. Danniro

Jun 3, 2014
    Yeah on second thought I see cats in our yard all the time and they never do more than watch them. So far she hasn't been crossing the street, she likes to go into the backyard of our neighbor with feral cats...
    I was thinking that she may not even be using her wings, she could be hopping from object to object to get over. We need to catch her in the act, haha.

6. Attila the Hen

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Really my theory is that it is a dangerous world for all of us. I might not come home today. If a cat or chicken goes outside the fence there may be natural consequences that I can do nothing about. It's a risk they take. Obviously, I'd secure a hole or whatever to keep them in. Sometimes the whole gang gets out. That's always fun. Usually a call with treats gets them back. Other times a hen or two gets confused as to how to get back in. The rooster is pretty good about getting them back though I assist when needed.

No roads or cars here. Just the possibility of coyotes or hawks.

7. Danniro

Jun 3, 2014
    Haha well I don't know yet how she's getting out!
    She actually isn't good about coming when called when she's out and about. Usually I'll be whistling and such walking around and I'll hear a distant "bwuuuuacccckkkk" and I'll have to follow the sound. Even then, last time when she saw me she was still very reluctant to come home. Had to chase her halfway there.

8. Attila the Hen

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    You obviously haven't found her favorite snack yet. Grapes and bananas work well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by