Escaped bobwhites

Sorry for your loss. :(

Please tell me if you're just trying to share and get it off your heart/ be supported, or even warn others about your mistake to save them the heartache, or are you looking for advice about your set up/situation, etc.

Have you kept them like this before? Are you sure it's not rats eating them?

Please provide pics if you are looking for feedback.

Many of us have learned about the weaknesses in our setups the hard way. Poultry keeping is an ongoing and never ending learning adventure.. Don't be discouraged by those who think their experience is the only possibility (or that they know what humane actually is, while forgetting the human)! :hugs
I wasn't trying to be rude, condescending or an ego maniac. I never stated it was the "only" possibility. I simply wanted to provide my input on something that could save him more time in the future, and be beneficial to keeping the quail safe. Although, I belive only checking on quail once every 2 weeks isn't the best idea considering, I was stating reasons why they could have not come back. I have had many quail escape, (bobs, blues, and gambels) and they almost always come back knowing its a safe place and I stated a reason why they could have not comeback yet. I apologize if it came across the wrong way. God bless.

Last edited:
If I may put in my two cents to this old post. My dad used to make quail traps by making a secure holding attatched to a hardware cloth funnel. The wire ends on the small end were bent slightly inwards (but still pointing into the trap). Daddy told me, when asked why, that the quail would squeeze through the funnel to get the corn and if one got in, the whole covey followed. The inward facing wire ends sort of poked them so they desisted in trying to squeeze back out.

Back
Top Bottom