Escaped bobwhites

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
I hatched 18 quail they were 11 weeks old I brought them to my farm and put them in a 300 sq ft pen wrapped in chicken wire with a 10 inch skirt all around except for one 4 inch wide spot. I came back today 2 weeks later I have 3 quail left. đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź

I'm sorry for your loss.

1/2" hardware cloth is what you want to use. Unfortunately, chicken wire is large enough that quail might be able to squeeze through, and predators can reach or go through it quite easily.

no they didn’t squeeze through they went under the board on the bottom of the pen. A 11 week old quail can’t fit through a hole in chicken wire and survive.

no they didn’t squeeze through they went under the board on the bottom of the pen. A 11 week old quail can’t fit through a hole in chicken wire and survive.
It still could be a problem in the future. Predators like cats (house cats, bobcats) will scare the quail and the quail will freak out and stick their head through the large holes and get their heads decapitated by the cats.

Also, most quail would stay around the area they got out. I have several gambels that have gotten out and they come back every time. Unless they didn't have a food source? Just an option also, its recommended you check on them more that just once every 2 weeks. Imo it may be better to release them if you can only check on them on a 2 week basis.

Last edited:
Also, most quail would stay around the area they got out. I have several gambels that have gotten out and they come back every time. Unless they didn't have a food source? Just an option also, its recommended you check on them more that just once every 2 weeks. Imo if you can't take care of them it would be more humane to probably just release them.
Thank you for being so condescending with your response. I really appreciate it and needed this from such a wonderful internet egomaniac. Have a great day. Maybe this response is better.

I hatched 18 quail they were 11 weeks old I brought them to my farm and put them in a 300 sq ft pen wrapped in chicken wire with a 10 inch skirt all around except for one 4 inch wide spot. I came back today 2 weeks later I have 3 quail left. đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź
Oh no! Sneaky little things. I gather you haven't seen them anywhere? Not sure how you would even catch them if you did.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Please tell me if you're just trying to share and get it off your heart/ be supported, or even warn others about your mistake to save them the heartache, or are you looking for advice about your set up/situation, etc.

Have you kept them like this before? Are you sure it's not rats eating them?

Please provide pics if you are looking for feedback.

Many of us have learned about the weaknesses in our setups the hard way. Poultry keeping is an ongoing and never ending learning adventure.. Don't be discouraged by those who think their experience is the only possibility (or that they know what humane actually is, while forgetting the human)! :hugs

So sorry for your loss. Have you heard them call to know that they escaped vs being taken by a predator?( I have never had quail, so I have no idea when they start calling loud enough to be heard...) We had a quail wandering just outside of our property for 2 weeks earlier this month. I am assuming it escaped from someone as we have never heard them in the area before. Unfortunately, we were never able to get close enough to capture it before it either moved on or was taken by a predator.

Thank you for being so condescending with your response. I really appreciate it and needed this from such a wonderful internet egomaniac. Have a great day. Maybe this response is better.
I apologize if I came across that way. I wasn't stating it was your fault I was just trying to help out and prevent more casualties in the future. Again I apologize. Have a great day. God bless.

Back
Top Bottom