Escaping cockerel..

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Our 17 wk old bantam polish cockerel named Spotted Elk won't stop escaping.
He'll wait for me to finish what I'm doing in the yard before following after me out the gate and I don't realize until he's being chased by our dog and the puppy.
I've tried to keep an eye out for him while leaving the yard but he still finds ways to sneak past me.

I'm still not even sure why he's started this but I'm assuming it's because our other polish cockerel named Little Man may have shown him who's the top dog of the flock and Spotted Elk wants to have more room to be away from his flock brother to avoid fighting.
I'm still confused on how Little Man is the top cockerel when he's much smaller than Spotted Elk :confused:

Spotted Elk is a sweet little dude so I don't want anything to happen to him.

What should I do about this?

Roosters become the head not always due to size. My white leghorn is smaller than my olive egger and he’s the boss. But they free range and have enough space to where they get along and don’t get onto each other. Can you maybe give them more room? Or is it pretty limited?

Roosters become the head not always due to size. My white leghorn is smaller than my olive egger and he’s the boss. But they free range and have enough space to where they get along and don’t get onto each other. Can you maybe give them more room? Or is it pretty limited?
They get to free range during sunny days.
And their yard is big enough so there shouldn't be any problems involving room.

Is there enough places he can hide behind or under in their area?

Size doesn't matter really about who has the more dominate personality to become head of the flock as I'm assuming you have pullets in the mix too. I would set up more than 1 feed/water station as far apart as they can be to help so the other cockerel and any lower ranked pullets get their chance to eat and drink.

Back
Top Bottom