Escaping hen, going nuts!!!now that she cannot escape***update**HELP

Ericasl

Songster
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
The Dalles OR
Hi I have a hen that found her way under one little spot in my fence. I have 1 acre that is all fenced and they roam free during the day. Well somehow this fat hen got under the fence 2 days in a row and layed 2 eggs on the otherside of the fence. Well I have fixed the little hole!!! She is going nuts to get back to the otherside, she walks the fence line for HOURS and I do mean HOURS. She seems so upset she is clucking and clucking, she is going to go crazy she did this all weekend and all the day so far today. Is she trying to go broody, does she think her eggs are over there still she is a black australorp. Please anyone know what to do with her, I think she has even lost some weight with all of her walking and trying to get under the fence??

Last edited:
Some hens are just not mentally stable to be fenced. I'd just let her walk it off and give a few extra hand outs to show all the girls that inside the fence is the way to go.

She has a whole acre to roam, and this all just started a week ago,I have had her for about 4 months. She was fine laying in the nesting boxes before this.

Can you make her a spot of her own, so she can "get away from it all"? Set her up with a nice dark secluded out of the way with her own feed & water set up? Can't hurt.....
idunno.gif

your hen is just being bullheaded an stubborn.she prolly just wants out so she can lay her egg.i had a hen that loved living in the garage an laying her eggs behind the fridge.id pen her up for 6 months.let her out.an she go right back in garage.i never broke that hen.

OK we are going on day 7 with this hen walking the fence line. She is sticking her head through the fence trying to get through it. I really think she is going to kill herself trying to get over there. Well I made her a place of her own with a big box with some fake eggs in it, in a dark corner in case she is going broody? I really wonder has she really lost her mind she walks the fence line for 4 to 5 hours a day. I mean really does she feel trapped she has a whole acre to run in. I am so confused? She is looking skinny she must pace 4 miles a day:barnie

She will be okay, she just needs some time. Try to woo her back into the yard with treats, the occasional mealworms or even hanging treats may help. It's just going to need time for her to get over it. If you have a cage away from the fenceline she paces, you could try keeping her penned up for a while.
idunno.gif

Her losing weight is probably normal. I wouldn't be worried about it, broodies loose weight sometimes too. If she gets hungry or thin enough, her survival instincts should take over her and bring her back to food and water.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom