Escaping their run

I've read about it done both ways successfully, but having only clipped both, I can't really confirm or deny that. I think its lack of surface area in their wings catching air that keeps them earthbound. I chose to clip both because some people said they could develop balance problems if you only do one, and my hen was totally fine with it(didn't struggle at all) so i figured what the heck. If yours seem fine with one clipped, and aren't escaping, they're probably fine. :)
Should you really clip both wings? I’ve only clipped one wing (per bird😊) cause I thought it was lack of balance that kept them earthbound. Did I get that wrong?

How closely clipped are the wings? If you don't clip enough they can still get good lift.

I've seen someone post that they had chickens that learned to climb a fence and then jump off the top, so in extreme cases even a good clipping job might not be enough.
I've read about it done both ways successfully, but having only clipped both, I can't really confirm or deny that. I think its lack of surface area in their wings catching air that keeps them earthbound. I chose to clip both because some people said they could develop balance problems if you only do one, and my hen was totally fine with it(didn't struggle at all) so i figured what the heck. If yours seem fine with one clipped, and aren't escaping, they're probably fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom